A wee bit of help please...first test results.

daleyfolk

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2014
Boise,Idaho
My pool is not a wreck...It has been crystal clear the last two weeks, but the last two nights the deep end has become a little hazy (can still see the drain).
New test kit arrived:

CYA=100 (tried this test three times...did the diluted test the third time..pretty confident)
FC = 3.5
CC= 1
pH = 7.2
Alk= 110
Calcium Hardness= 300

I prefer not to drain 50 percent of pool all at once. The water will be soooo cold! Could I do a foot drain/refill every night for a week?

Could a helpful techie here give me a chlorine plan?
I've read pool school and numerous SLAM threads. With a CC of 1, I don't know if my pool needs a shock or if I should just up my FC to 7ppm as per the CYA/FC chart.

I've turned off my trichlor dispenser. Have 8.25 bleach on hand.

Thank you for any input!

"A little hazy" and CC of 1 would make me SLAM. It would likely be a short one.

As for the CYA, you already know it needs to come down. I think how you choose to do that is up to you. Draining and refilling a little each time will certainly take longer to accomplish the goal.

As for chlorine, you minimum should be 7 so I would get some bleach in there. Seven is the lowest your FC should ever be with a CYA of 100. I would target 12 and see how your pool uses it.

You can certainly drain your pool down in smaller increments. That poses no problems.

Next, I would suggest read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll give you some ideas as to why you are testing and what you need to do about the results..

I'm not sure what you mean by a chlorine plan. Once you get the basics understood, you need to SLAM the pool and follow that article precisely.

Your pool is not crystal clear and your FC is too low so it is time to SLAM your pool. Many of us will help but what we really want it to teach you to do it yourself so your pool management becomes second nature to you.

I prefer not to drain 50 percent of pool all at once. The water will be soooo cold! Could I do a foot drain/refill every night for a week?
I had to follow your plan to lower my CYA due to CYA 200+ and a high water table that precluded me from a harsh drain & refill.

Just remember, if you follow this method (a foot a week) that it is going to take much longer than 50% all at once because each drain is a percentage reduction in your then existing CYA . Sound confusing?

I will give you some numbers as an example to make it clear

Assuming a 50% replacement then your 100 CYA would drop to 50 CYA

Your 10% drops will look like this
Drop 1 Starting CYA 100 Ending CYA 90
Drop 2 Starting CYA 90 Ending CYA 81
Drop 3 Starting CYA 81 Ending CYA 72.9
Drop 4 Starting CYA 72.9 Ending CYA 65.7
Drop 5 Starting CYA 65.7 Ending CYA 59.2
Drop 6 Starting CYA 59.2 Ending CYA 53.3
Drop 7 Starting CYA 53.3 Ending CYA 48

So it is going to take one or two extra drops to get to your desired CYA level

Good Luck!!

Removed side conversation below now that this has been edited by Tim. jblizzle.

Last edited:
So I guess you have a few choices.

Lug gallons upon gallons of bleach a day and feed the pool monsterous amounts of chlorine to go with the high CYA.
Do very small partial drain/refills and continue to lug gallons of bleach to feed the pool because of high CYA.
Do the 50% drain/refill, have cold water and start anew with manageable CYA.
Go green because lugging all that bleach is hard work and you don't want a cold pool.

Thanks. I started my SLAM Tuesday night because I want a clear pool...so I've been keeping my FC at 39.
The initial shock knocked the CC to 0, and the pool is clear as glass. But I haven't passed the OCLT. As soon as I'm done SLamming, I'm a gonna draw the pool down and refill to get the CYA down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.