Chlorine dioxide

deenamccauley

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Can we revisit this thread. It's been awhile since anyone has commented on it so I'm wondering if things have changed.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...g-chlorine-dioxide-(ClO2)-instead-of-chlorine

I see, where I live, you can buy this (Hydroxan)and it supposedly is approved safe for use in our pools.
They use it in combination with a floc product to improve clarity of water. How does that affect a sand filter if it is being continuously fed.

I am double checking that with my health inspector.

What I am wondering is if this would be a good choice to use with chlorine in an outdoor pool.
Is it just for when there are outbreaks of bacteria or viruses or could it be an ongoing addition to help with water clarity as well.?
Does anyone know if it has been determined if CYA shields it from sunlight?

Chlorine dioxide inactivates the protozoan oocyst Cryptosporidium parvum much faster than chlorine and it also oxidizes organics with far fewer disinfection by-products. So you could use it on some nights for that sort of extra protection but it will break down during the day producing chlorate, chloride, and hypochlorous acid in the proportion 14:5:3 as described in this paper. Chemicals that absorb UV light strongly would shield lower depths of water and some people have experimented with titanium dioxide for this purpose, but this is not approved and would tend to produce a lot of hydroxyl radicals which are already a problem when produced in large numbers near skin which occurs when chlorine strips the coating from titanium dioxide in sunscreen (see this link and this link).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.