pump leaking

If your pump is like my Challenger, there is a ceramic seal behind the pump impeller that only works when installed correctly. If it is reversed it will leak. :( I replaced that seal with a new one when I put new bearings in my pump a couple of years ago. Alas, I can't recall offhand which way the ceramic end is supposed to point. :oops: But you have a 50-50 chance that it went back on backwards.

I think Harry got it right, the shaft seal assembly (# SP 1600 Z 2 for super pumps) there is also the chance that the housing gasket (SP 1600 T) is too worn or has failed. Getting the seal assembly changed ASAP will help the motor last longer!

If you need any 'nuts and bolts' info on changing them, I think I've got it posted here somewhere, or I can just retype the info :)

Good luck with this! Please keep us posted on how things are going :goodjob:

The diffuser gasket shouldnt cause leaking. He is refering to a SPX1600T. You will see that gasket if you remove the four 9/16 bolts on a superpump. It should be well seated along the rear of the housing and should not be excessively flat. Try putting some silicone lube on it when you reassemble the pump if it looks worn.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.