14" Sand Pump not working right

Jul 14, 2014
Bowling Green, KY
We purchased the 14" Intex sand pump and Intex wall skimmer this year to go on our 22' round metal set Intex pool. We also have the Intex SWG that we have used for several years and love it! When we first set up the pump at the beginning of the year, it was pulling water through the skimmer great and the output was strong. It really kept our pool extremely clean (compared to the paper cartridges) and was hardly needing to vacuum at all. In recent weeks, (especially this weekend), we've noticed that the pull of the pump is extremely low as well as the output which of course causes the SWG to give the Low Flow warning and shut down. We have checked all the connections and hoses (which are all Intex hoses and brand new this year) and are not showing any air leaks. We've backwashed several times and rinsed as well. Not really sure what the problem is...any help would be appreciated.

I don't know which fittings you have. But on some there is a strainer grid behind the blue hose adapter for the skimmer. You may want to take your skimmer hose off and unscrew the blue adapter and see if its clogged behind there.

We cleaned the SWG this weekend (soaked the plates in vinegar), so I know they are clean and we've not had any trouble with the SWG other than the low flow indicator. The pressure is in the green (low green however). I have been reading several posts on here today and wonder if the pump isn't clogged behind the leaf collection basket? The basket is empty and we've cleaned out the area where the basket sits, however, I wonder if its not clogged behind there in the motor??We had a storm last week while we were on vacation and I'm sure there was probably alot of tree debris that fell and didn't get cleaned out. What should the pressure read by the way?? It doesn't really say in the manual and we've backwashed several times.

What should the pressure read by the way??
Every pool is different which is why I asked what it read before this happened and what it is reading now. Knowing your normal filter pressure can help diagnose issues like this when they arise.

But you could very well have a blockage in the impeller inlet or impeller itself. With the basket removed, you can try to reach into the inlet and clear any debris. Sometimes running water backwards through the pump with a hose can clear the debris on its own. Otherwise, you might have to take apart the pump to clear the impeller.

Also, make sure the suction line/skimmer is clear of debris.

didn't get a chance to work on it last night due to storm that came through. I did check the pressure and it was around 5. I know that's too low (that's hardly any pressure!). Plan on trying all your suggestions tonight if Mother Nature allows.

We do have plunger style valves so we'll check those as well. Thanks for all the suggestions!! Will post results tomorrow.

The higher your pressure reading, the lower your suction should be. 5 is probably close to normal. Mine is usually between 4 and 5 after a good backwashing. When it gets around 6 or 7 flow and therefore suction is significantly reduced. For any vacuum (pool or home) flow is more important than suction. Suction is dead air space, flow moves the trash to the filter.

so if the pressure reading is where it should be is that indicitive of another problem such as a clog in the valve or impeller? Also, I forgot to mention that I noticed the outlet for the output has lots of air bubbles coming out around the edge of the cover. Is that normal?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have been running your pump all year with plunger valves and the Intex skimmer you will have a clog behind the blue adapter inside the pool on the front of the plunger valve. Unscrew the blue adapter and clean out the debris. You will not have a clogged strainer basket on the pump or a clogged impeller because the debris is clogging behind the blue adapter on the plunger valve strainer grid.

The part I'm talking about would not typically be removed to vacuum. If you follow the hose from the bottom of your skimmer to the side of the pool, I'm talking about the blue thing the hose is connected to. If that's not the part you're talking about already, then you need to unscrew it and check behind it.

Impeller not clogged (and husband thrilled at the screws and nuts that had to be removed and replaced) and I've undone the skimmer connection and ran water through the plunger. When I came home today it was not pulling hardly anything through the skimmer but was outputting ok. I'm confused!

It can't have more coming out than coming in. Is the blue adaper on? Is the hose hooked up? Is the skimmer height set correctly? There are flaps on the bottom of the skimmer that will let the pump get water through the skimmer if it is set wrong or blocked.

apparently the problem was the filter that is under the controls on the pump was clogged. It was full of all kinds of yuck so we took it off and cleaned it, cleaned all the the outlets, ran water through all the valves and reassembled. I have to admit, I've never had this much trouble with a pump until I added that Intex skimmer...beginning to wonder if that's the root of the trouble, although when it's working, it does get alot of the surface stuff and keeps the pool alot cleaner. After spending the last three days on this forum, I've decided that the Hayward skimmer is the way to go....now just to convince my husband to install it. On the skimmer note, ours does not have a screen behind the blue adaptor, so that wasn't clogged. Thanks for everyones help and suggestions!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.