Mustard Algae issues in Las Vegas

Jul 14, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I live in Las Vegas, NV. A very dusty city. My pool is AG, 10,000 gallons, plaster, 12 years old and has a cartridge filter.

I have a small amount of mustard algaecide and and what appears to be dust stains as I brush the steps where it is most prevalent and it does not completely go away. The algaecide first appeared about a month ago in June. I purchased Kemtec Algaecide and used a powder shocker. Brushed the algaecide and everything was fine Then it got really hot (108 degrees) and 2 days ago I noticed some mustard algaecide again. I put some shocker, waited 4 hours, then another treatment of shocker, waited 4 hours, then 2 pounds of muriatic acid waited again and at least 8 oz of Kemtec algaecide.

The water analysis was done at my local pool store. Everything was normal except the alkalinity range was high at 8. Ph was 100 which read as high though the acceptable range is 80-120 ppm. After the analysis, it was suggested I put in another treatment of muriatic acid, 2x, which I did.
The water looks sparkling clean. I just need to clean up the mustard algaecide and make sure it does not return. I read that algaecide is not that effective. I would like your opinion on that also.

I read on another thread that using bleach is a way of getting rid of the algaecide and the dust stains. Do I just purchase bottles of bleach? How much should I use in a 10,000 gallon pool. I also am soaking my baskets in bleach and water and getting my filters cleaned. Is there a treatment you would suggest being put on the filters when they are being cleaned?

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure someone can help you out soon but you need to do some research to give us the info we need to help you effectively. I recommend reading all of Pool School on the link above... That will help you understand what water analysis means - for example you have the values for pH and Alkalinity reversed in your original post. It will also discuss a good test kit which are much more reliable than any testing done at a pool store. Yes - Mustard algae can be cleaned up effectively with liquid chlorine and Pool Math will show you how much to use once you learn how to enter all the data correctly.

Good Luck!

Thank you Sminor.

My pH is: 8 whereas the range should be 7.2-7.8. My alkalinity is 100 and the range is 80-120 ppm. I will review the web site you suggested. I have found out that Las Vegas is having an unusually high rate of mustard algaecide this year. I do know that muriatic acid has a lot to do with the pH which is why the party who did the pool water analysis advised me to add more.

I did purchase a different algaecide and the algae is definitely gone. Now I want to get rid of the stains caused by the heavy dust we get here in Las Vegas. On another thread one reply suggested bleach again. I think it is worth a try. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I've been reading on the pool math calculator about using bleach for all kinds of problems. I don't see anything about dirt stains.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.