Pool help!!!

Jul 13, 2014
Dacono, co
I have a round 3300 gallon pool and I have a hth 3 way test kit which test chlorine bromine an ph my ph is 7.5 but the other 2 I'm assuming are 0 since there is no color to it when drops are added. Also I haven't added anything to it because I'm unsure of the math or what I need I have shock and I have the big round tablets that go in a skimmer. However I have no idea what to do first please help.

Is this a new pool with fresh water? I would assume so but just varifying
What are the active ingredients in the "shock" that you have?
What size are the big round tablets? size or weight.
How many tablets do you have?

While waiting for responses, you could give this a read.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/155-guide-for-seasonal-temporary-pools

Also spend some time going through pool school articles to get a better understanding the what and why's of pool maintenance. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/

Filled up yesterday. The tablets are 1 inch thick and about 3 in across. It says 3 in1 chlorinating skimmer tablet in it and its hth brand. And i have 7 of them. The shock I have says active ingredients is calcium hypochlorite an "other ingredients" whatever that means. Also hth brand. It's an ag pool and it has a filter with the blue and white round filter insert thing. My husband didnt really want pool so doesn't want to help muh with this stuff and as he says my math skills are astonishing (completely sarcastic I'm so bad at math it isn't funny) therefore I'm lost at what needs to be done an reading some of the links I've been given is like reading gibberish for me.

Well to make it simple and get you started, you need to buy some stabilizer also called conditioner. Walmart carries it among other places and of course pool stores. In the mean time, you need to get some chlorine in there, so you can throw in a tablet in the skimmer or floater or you could also use plain unscented laundry bleach. (15oz)

Look over the seasonal pool guide, check out poolmath, and can never do too much reading.

IF your determined to make use of the tabs you could buy a floating dispenser, but just using liquid chlorine/bleach is pretty easy if your okay with adding daily.

HTH Stabilizer / conditioner - Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-Stabilizer-and-Conditioner/17043638

No need for great math skills use pool math at the top to do it for you.
You should probably get a better test kit that is a little pricey to begin with, but will save you lots in the long run and keep you out of pool stores who will only try to sell you chemicals you don't need. We recommend either the tf-100 or taylor k-2006, either of which is available here: tftestkits.net.
I just noticed you have another thread going with the same question s. You might want to keep this one going for any more questions you might have and abandon the other one.

Only if you "really" need to raise your ch level. Using common bleach, for example Great Value 8.25% from Walmart, or some other cost effective form of liquid chlorine read higher strength would be the best for your size pool. As mentioned before get granular Stabilizer-conditioner-cya at Walmart too. I have a hunch your tabs are calhypo too.

- - - Updated - - -

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Basic-5-Way-Swimming-Pool-Test-Kit/27878371?type=search

Is that similar to what you were telling me to buy? The site u gave me won't open on phone. And my computer hasn't worked for months.

Noooooo Here's a better link: http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/ hope that works better

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nah!!! Go swimming. But again, it's going to take a long while for those tabs to give you an adequate fc level. You might want to put some bleach in there just to get it up to a good level. About a quart of 8.25% should get you up to ~6. Shock level is 28. Normal is 6-10 about a lb of conditioner/cya should get you near 30. A daily dosage of 10 oz until you get your test kit should keep you safe from expected usage of fc.

Ok so now I have had floater in pool since yesterday. Te nice test kit isn't here so still using the Walmart 3 way for now. My cl level is fine but my ph level dropped from 7.6 to 7.2. I know anything lower is bad but what is best thing to do to raid the ph just a little? It says use borax or soda ash but I am not sure what either of those are. So I garuntee i don't have them here. Please help?

Wish I could send you the boxes of 20 Mule team I haven't used since making a homemade aerator. Btw, that might be something you might consider too. Mine is no longer installed. But screwing it back in if I ever need it would be a quick.

13oz by weight or volume. A digital scale would be helpful for doing those weight measures. But a box is 4lbs 12 ozs. So, I guess that would be just a little over 1.5 cups to get you back up to 7.6. That's also considering a TA of 70. I don't believe we have a TA number for you do we? Pool math is a good calculator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.