Pool by the numbers (leveling out the levels) :-)

starsfan33

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2014
Nevada, TX
Ok so if you happen to see my build thread you will know that we had about a week and a half with no filter. I didn't do much to work on the pools levels during that time. We got the filter installed on Friday and since then I have been paying particular attention to the pool. The sides of the wall and the floor have become quite slippery and filming. I.e. signs of algae growth! I check the free chlorine level and of course I had not. I had put some CYA in the pool but only about 4 pounds so not quite enough. I have since added about another 2 1/2 pounds of CYA and added another gallon of bleach. Today here are my test results

FC: 1
Ph: 7.2
TA: 100
CYA: 30

Keep in mind I did add CYA yesterday morning to the pool. I put it in a pantyhose and stood in front of the return squeezing it out into the pool as it dissolved I was able to dissolve all of it within a couple of hours. While it was dissolved into the pool, I'm not sure if any of what I put in there yesterday is currently showing up in my test results. I did go ahead and buy a case of super shock today just in case I needed it. Thoughts comments suggestions would all be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,
Steve

- - - Updated - - -

Ps I don't normally consider myself dense but I am really struggling with understanding how to use the pool math. :(

If it's slimy and CYA is 30, you need to add bleach or liquid shock to get to at least 12 FC. That is shock level.

Assuming the pool is 27' diameter and 54" tall and filled to 48", your volume is 17100 gallons. 6½ lbs of stabilizer will get you to about 46, which will make shock level 18 FC!

What is Super shock? If it's a powdered or granular form of chlorine, it's going to add either Calcium or CYA with the chlorine. You don't want any more CYA and you didn't post CH readings, so I don't know if you can use it or not.

Have you read the How-to article about poolmath?

If it's slimy and CYA is 30, you need to add bleach or liquid shock to get to at least 12 FC. That is shock level.

Assuming the pool is 27' diameter and 54" tall and filled to 48", your volume is 17100 gallons. 6½ lbs of stabilizer will get you to about 46, which will make shock level 18 FC!

What is Super shock? If it's a powdered or granular form of chlorine, it's going to add either Calcium or CYA with the chlorine. You don't want any more CYA and you didn't post CH readings, so I don't know if you can use it or not.

Have you read the How-to article about poolmath?

The shock is hth super shock sold at Walmart. I don't want to use it unless it's absolutely necessary.

CH is 150
You can use it. I assume a case is a twelve-pack? Twelve pounds will raise the CH by about 31, so it's okay. But when it's gone, don't use any more. And don't use it all at once! It's instant bleach - just add water.

3.25 lbs of that stuff will take your FC to 12. When you use poolmath, use the dropdown menu to select Cal-hypo 53% on the second line of the FC box to get how much you need to use each time. Dissolve it in a bucket before pouring it in, lest it settle on the floor and leave white freckles.

You can use it. I assume a case is a twelve-pack? Twelve pounds will raise the CH by about 31, so it's okay. But when it's gone, don't use any more. And don't use it all at once! It's instant bleach - just add water.

3.25 lbs of that stuff will take your FC to 12. When you use poolmath, use the dropdown menu to select Cal-hypo 53% on the second line of the FC box to get how much you need to use each time. Dissolve it in a bucket before pouring it in, lest it settle on the floor and leave white freckles.

Richard as you stated pool math tells me that I need to use 3 pounds. I.e. three packs of this shock. However you said don't add it all at once. Did you mean not at all 10 bags at once or not to add all 3 pounds at one? I would assume that I actually need 3 pounds. But after my first mistake pouring bleach directly into the pool and not knowing that I needed to brush it around and not having a brush I don't want to make the same mistake. LOL so I want to make sure that I ask questions even if they seem redundant or ridiculous. So what I am understanding is that I need to take a 5 pound bucket of water and put 3 pounds of shock in the bucket let it dissolve and slowly pour it in the pool. Is this correct? Or do I need to not put 3 pounds in at one time?

Again thank you so much for your patience with me. I greatly appreciate it. :)

Don't add all 10 bags at once.

Scoop some pool water into the bucket, add the powder and stir it or swirl it, whatever. It'll take a few minutes to mix. It might take hours to dissolve 100%. Then treat it like bleach and dribble it in front of the return jet so it gets mixed and scattered quickly. Here's a thread from some folks that have used it. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/34535-Quick-question-Re-pre-dissolving-Cal-Hypo

Don't freak out of the pool gets cloudy. It will pass.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't add all 10 bags at once.

Scoop some pool water into the bucket, add the powder and stir it or swirl it, whatever. It'll take a few minutes to mix. It might take hours to dissolve 100%. Then treat it like bleach and dribble it in front of the return jet so it gets mixed and scattered quickly. Here's a thread from some folks that have used it. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/34535-Quick-question-Re-pre-dissolving-Cal-Hypo

Don't freak out of the pool gets cloudy. It will pass.

How long after adding the stuff to the pool do I need to wait to swim?

Oh wow! The packaging said not to swim and less free chlorine was below four and this is supposed to bring it up to 12? Still safe? I obviously trust you experts on this forum more than a package product from Walmart just want to make sure. LOL :)

Oh wow! The packaging said not to swim and less free chlorine was below four and this is supposed to bring it up to 12? Still safe? I obviously trust you experts on this forum more than a package product from Walmart just want to make sure. LOL :)
If your CYA is 30, shock level is 12. It's safe to swim in. That's actually less aggressive than zero CYA and 3 FC. If you're doubtful about the CYA test you ran, wait a few hours. Brush the slime off while you wait.

If your CYA is 30, shock level is 12. It's safe to swim in. That's actually less aggressive than zero CYA and 3 FC. If you're doubtful about the CYA test you ran, wait a few hours. Brush the slime off while you wait.

I trust ya Richard! I dissolved the shock and poured it slowly into the pool and used the brush from outside the pool to move it around a bit. Will run all tests again tomorrow and post results.

Two days? You waited that long to test? FC is destroyed by sunlight and fighting organic compounds in your pool (including bacteria). Yes, it is certainly possible to lose 10 points in 2 days. You need to keep it at 12 until you pass the OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test) and have .5 or less CC.

Two days? You waited that long to test? FC is destroyed by sunlight and fighting organic compounds in your pool (including bacteria). Yes, it is certainly possible to lose 10 points in 2 days. You need to keep it at 12 until you pass the OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test) and have .5 or less CC.

Unfortunately, YES. I did wait that long to test again. we have some personal family things going on that is preventing me from taking care of it as timely as I should.

:(

Sorry for your issues....

You need to test and adjust the chlorine level a minimum of twice a day while you are trying to kill the stuff that has taken up residence in you pool (what TFP calls a SLAM)

Test water
Adjust chlorine to shock level
repeat

Brush at least once a day

This will clear up your pool the quickest.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.