cloudy water with small white particles

Jul 13, 2014
dover, pa
Someone please please help me!! I have had my pool for 3 years. A 30ft round above ground. This is my second year of opening it and i cannot get clear water!! I had the same problem last year and dumped close to $800 in chemicals (all recommended by the pool store). This year i was determined to get clear water. I switched from a cartridge to a sand filter, installed a frog system, and most importantly had a helper. We vaccuumed ro waste, brushed, added chemicals such as shock, yellow x algae killer, ph up, alk down, floc, pool first aid, and blue magic clearer and still i have cloudy water with small white particles floating in it. It is blue, not green but still very cloudy. I leave my filter running 24 hrs/day. I backwash the sand often. I vaccuum and brush almost every day. My chlorine levels drop to nothing within a 24 hr period. I have chlorine tabs and have tried liquid bleach. What in the world am i doing wrong?? The pool store just says keep doing what im doing. But, something isnt working. Please help!!!!

Welcome to TFP!

The first step is to get a top quality test kit (TF100 or K-2006). Without reliable test results there is no way to tell what might be going on. When you have a good set of test results, post them and we can get you going in the right direction from there.

You have something living in your water. You need to read and follow the SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain procedures. Anything less is just going to drag out the process of getting your pool clear.

What is your stabilizer/CYA level? That determines how much chlorine you need to add to conduct the SLAM

You have a test kit, but which one? You need to have up one of the recommended test kits. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

It would help us if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
  • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
  • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.

• What kind/model of water test kit you are using
  • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

So, welcome to TFP!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.