Slam 48 hours in - What am I doing wrong?

TeamNelson

Platinum Supporter
Feb 15, 2013
Tucson (Marana) AZ
I originally started a Thread in Test Kits/ LaMotte & started a new thread here... this is SLAM TIME! (I know you only lose algae around here - but I hope this thread here is correct) I will learn grasshopper - keep teaching please & tell me to stay here or go back?

PreSlam test on 7/11 3pm
FCL 2.38
TCL 3.32
PH 7.3
ALK 133
CH 119
CYA 48
Water Temp 93 (yes we are in AZ!) Using LaMotte Color Q7

Since Friday 7/11 3pm Using TFP FAS-DPD kit (waiting on T100 XL test kit- shipment on it's way)

Today still every 2hours (or less) testing it's a struggle to keep FC up to my 20 shock level = seems like FC has big drop in its level from test to test times - still even after yesterdays adds of bleach. I'm using PoolMath & add exactly what it says to get up to 20shock level - I'd have to count the jugs to tell you how many 121oz I've gone thru but I'm at 30or more now 48 hours into SLAM.

Yesterdays last two readings:
4:00p
FC 15
CC 0

6:00p
FC 9
CC 1
back washed cartridge filters

TODAY 7/13
5:30a
FC 1
CC 1.5

7:15
FC 17.5
CC 1

9am
FC 13
CC 2

10:45
FC 16
CC 1

Noon
FC 19
CC 1.5

1:00
FC 15
CC 1

2:15
FC 16
CC 11

It's been very sunny today & hot! Water temp 90 now. Rain moving through w/monsoon storm as we speak.

Prior to slam my pool was mostly clear - hardly cloudy - Nobody but me could tell (just not sparkly). Noticed the FC dropping & got to the forum for advice & about my LaMotte test kit accuracy... TFP Said I was in the start of an algae bloom. Ordered the kits & a TFP Tucson member (THANKS GILROC) came to my rescue with 1/2 of his kit Fas-dpd kit!!! LET THE SLAM BEGIN.

SLAMMING IS A PROCESS - we get that...

Are we on the right path?
Could we be doing anything else or anything wrong?
We are scrubbing pool 2 times a day. after am test & add bleach, scrub. PM test, add bleach scrub.
Our pump has been running 24/7 (1/2 day on high)
should it be high vs. low the entire time???
the pressure didn't change after cleaning cartridge filters; high is 22, low is 12psi
We run the spa jets (attached spa) & slide too 5 min after every test time - as both them cannot be run at the same time on the same pump as the pool.

Today the pool does look sparkly - but of course we didn't pass the OCLT this a.m. or the drop of ppm...
What are we missing or doing wrong here? :mad:

Now you should be understanding why the pool store method of a couple bags of shock doesn't do it. All that chlorine demand is organics that you are oxidizing. All you can do is keep it up. The chlorine demand will eventually subside. If you want you can overshoot your target FC up to mustard algae levels, at least until the demand is less.

In reading a little from Chem Geek's threads... "way over my head" but cool somebody knows that much!!! Do I drain the pool now & refill? Only 19mo old pool, trucked in water for $1800 vs. "cannot use well water for luxury uses = pool filling" or keep the race on with bleach and bump up to Mustard Algae Shock Level "29"??? SOS anyone?

Crud typo - the last test 2:15 was NOT CC11 it was 1... JEEZ O'BROTHER!!! DID I DO THAT? MAN!

current tests from there are:
Tested at 4:00
FC 19
CC 1

5:00
FC 18.5
CC 1.5

Ideas? Mustard level shock? almost out of daylight - keep it up over night? hourly? I can do that vs. more burn off during day... just an idea

check anywhere that may not get constand and good circulation too. Such as any spray fittings and especially behind the light and autofill. check everything even if it seems silly to check. I just went through this with a friend of mine pool. The autofill was FULL of algae as was the light niche.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm glad you told me where your thread was cause I was wondering how things were going. I was expecting you to be done in one or two days cause your water looked so clear when I was there. I'm shocked at how many jugs of bleach you said you've gone through. That's more than I used when I cleared up my green pool. I was going to make sure you were brushing the walls and bottom but I looked above and it sounds like you already are. Only other thing I was wondering is what have you done with the cover at night? Are you closing it? If so maybe try leaving the cover off at night and get the pool stable just in case you did have something on the underside of that cover that is adding to the problem.

TeamNelson,

I only had some very minor water clarity issues with low FC that I could not get up with my SWG set to 90% and pumps running 12+ hrs per day. I was on the verge of an algae explosion because I let one if the small water basins in my waterfall go green by not running the waterfall enough.

Even with pretty good looking water (and a Green monster lurking about), my SLAM took three solid days, one filter backwash and lots of scrubbing. I decided to buy the "high test" bleach (8 gallons of 10% and 4 gallons of 12%) and I only have 4 gallons of 10% left. I also started on a Thursday night and set my alarm every 3 hours on the first night to make bleach additions consistently all night long. My wife thought I was nuts when I walk through the door with all that bleach and certifiably crazy when I woke up at midnight and 3am.

SLAM'ing is a process, but if you keep it up, it works!! My water has been sparkling ever since, the waterfall is crystal clear and my SWG easily holds FC at 33% power and a 6 hour run time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

013a6b6dbbc32e8f69ddab198af6800ff4db7f4bb0.jpg
0132ce4fc192361ff0c979d0d65f5eaf8945c18bd8.jpg

This is the inside of my Frog (NOT in use) there are no cartridges in it. I found this same tan (not really yellow) on the skimmer basket & the diverter under it & Pre Pump basket. I scrubbed w/bleach - it wasn't slimy & it was hard to get off. My pool/spa lights didn't have any of this in them. What is it? Not Yellow Mustard Algae? My pool is Crystal clear & never had any color to algae "bloom" only hardly noticeable to anyone cloudy not sparkly water. If it's rust - I don't notice any rust on anything else from our well water...

We had a family emergency 2 days Mon/Tues & had to restart my slam - 1st one in mid progress was all for nothing - but we had no choice. We restarted the SLAM on Wed Noon TF100 test kit - tests were FC0 CC 1 CYA 50 PH 7.2 CH 300 ALK 150. My (LaMotte Test Kit said FC .18 & TC .80 CYA 49 PH 7.4 ALK 154)

I've been REALLY steady w/SLAM at 1hr 15mins between tests & add bleach, 60 or more tests, 60 or more 121 oz Jugs of 8.25% bleach all from Noon Wed to 9pm & Th, Fri, Sat was 5:30am to 9pm. I cannot pass the OCLT - should have slammed through the night is my hindsight today. I can get the FC to 20 & but overnight it still drops avg 5ppm, the CC from day reading of 1 goes to 2 & my pool is CRYSTAL clear.

I know it's a process (SLAM) we get that. I read about Ammonia w/Chem Geeks posts - I don't get it... I'm out of time and at over $250 in bleach this #2 slam is at currently $180 with another 23 invested on my shelf $3 a jug... I must return to work in the morning and go out of town "truck driver" overnight until Wed a.m. possible swing into home & drop spouse off the "man the pool" - I just don't know what to do. I can SLAM all night but... I'm feeling like I wasted my time once again, defeated & broke trying to fix this w/too high CC & not passing the OCLT.
I guess I'll be turning the F*Frog back on to keep CL at? as high as it can... ANY suggestions are welcome.

Your pool is beautiful! :goodjob:

Do you have someone that can take the pool to SLAM FC level twice daily? AM & PM?

They would not need to measure anything, just add the proper FC dose of bleach/liquid chlorine.

The SLAM would continue, only a little slower. You could hit it hard when you get back, if still needed then.

My pool neighbor wasn't available to help these past 2 days to continue my 2nd Slam... Would my 3rd Slam attempt work any better if I went with a higher bleach %? Vs the 8.25% I have been using prior? Can I try to get it to "Mustard" FC slam level ? Do I guess I have an ammonia issue? Or will that show up on a fish tank test kit? Did anybody figure from my "Frog" photos inside - what that is? I will report test results as soon as I get home from the road & hope 3rd times a charm!

The bleach percentage doesn't matter as long as you use Pool Math to calculate the right amount for your pool based on the bleach %. When you dump in a bunch to raise the FC level check it 30-45 minutes later and see if it got close to your target just to make sure theres nothing wrong with your pool volume estimate or bleach freshness. I don't know anything wrong with going higher than the SLAM level up to Mustard level except then you shouldn't swim in it but maybe someone more experienced can give input for that. The inside of that frog just looks like iron stains to me. I'm pretty sure that isn't causing the large FC consumption.

Are you leaving the cover off at night? I've seen a few pool threads here where people are having trouble with high FC consumption with clear water and I know at least 2 of 3 are covering the pool at night. I'd leave it off the pool and remove it from the equation.

I'm not experienced with ammonia issues but your situation does seem similar to other threads where it was an issue. But the solution appeared the be the same...you don't do anything different that I know of...it just takes longer to finish the SLAM due to the chlorine having to break down the ammonia.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.