My first TF-100 test results. SURPRISED!

Griswald

Jul 7, 2014
Hope Mills, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Here are my results. I have a 16 x 32 vinyl in-ground with a SWG.

Salt = 2700
FC = 1.5
CC = 0.5
TC = 2.0
CH = 300
TA = 50
pH = 7.8

CYA = 0!!!!!!

We did get 1.5" of rain 2 days ago, if that matters

Guess I better fix CYA ASAP!

What order would be best to get me back in line with the recommended numbers?

Question: Have you ever added stabilizer or pucks?

If so, your CYA isn't zero, but it is below 20 or 30, depending on which view tube you have.

With your low TA, I would expect pH to climb slowly, so first priority is add some bleach to get to 3 and then fill a sock with some CYA and get that dissolving. Assume you have at least 20 if you've ever added any, lest you overdose. Hopefully you'll start seeing some sun protection quickly and the SWG will be able to keep up with the demand.

Deal with pH and TA tomorrow or the day after. Don't neglect the FC either. It might take a day or two for the SWG to catch up.

In case these terms means nothing: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals tells what to use and how to add it
Water Balance for SWG helps you set goals
PoolMath explained will tell you how much of what to reach those goals

Richard, per the SWG guide found on this site, the first thing to correct would be salt, per poolmath, 2 bags should get me 3200. Then do I add bleach and CYA? Poolmath says 1/2 a gallon or so of bleach, but 23 pounds of CYA. (Yes, CYA was added when new last year) I could read a newspaper through the tube when it was full to the top, crystal clear! If the test is just non specific at 20 or below, that changes the amount of CYA I need to add. Poolmath says 140 ounces, does that sound right?

Thanks for the help, I have just been winging it for 2 years and I now want to do this right.

Richard, per the SWG guide found on this site, the first thing to correct would be salt, per poolmath, 2 bags should get me 3200. Then do I add bleach and CYA? Poolmath says 1/2 a gallon or so of bleach, but 23 pounds of CYA. (Yes, CYA was added when new last year) I could read a newspaper through the tube when it was full to the top, crystal clear! If the test is just non specific at 20 or below, that changes the amount of CYA I need to add. Poolmath says 140 ounces, does that sound right?

Thanks for the help, I have just been winging it for 2 years and I now want to do this right.
If you truly have zero CYA, I would be afraid you might have ammonia. What does the pool look like? Is it clear? Cloudy? Green?

If you had CYA at the right levels last year and now you have none, that's worrisome. It could take an awful lot of bleach to neutralize the ammonia. I read here recently that it takes about 10 FC to cancel out 1 ammonia. People have been using 80 gallons of bleach! So.... before you start pouring stuff in, it might be wise to add some bleach first, say 10 FC. Brush good to ensure it's all mixed, and then retest FC & CC in thirty minutes. If FC has dropped dramatically and CC is huge, you know you have ammonia, and it might end up faster and cheaper to drain and refill.

So try that first. Post results. Someone will be along to advise you.

The pool is crystal clear and not "slimy" at all. We have never had any problems with the water quality, except for the FC seems to stay at around 1.0 - 1.5 when running 12 hours a day at 90%. We have occasonally added a few tabs after a full day of neighbors swimming just to keep the FC level high for a day "just in case" (neighbors have kids).

My wife grew up with a pool and still tries to use her dads old methods, they seem to be working at least appearance-wise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.