Confused about test results - red stains - could there by algae?

Jul 6, 2013
Tuesday July 1 test results
pH - 7.5
FC/TC = 4.0
CH = 250
TA = 70
CYA = 40-50 (I have been adding slowly)

So we leave for vacation and I set the SWG for a super chlorinate on Wed July 2nd to run for 24 hrs. While we were away Hurricane Arthur left rain (1in) and dumped debris (leaves and sticks) in pool.

Return: Mon July 7 Results

pH = 7.5-7.8
TC/FC = 5.0
CH = 300
TA = 80
CYA = 40-50

Test results say that all is good but there were some red stains on the plaster around the pool and appeared brown on the plastic returns nozzles and skimmer entries. I assumed that some of this was from the organic debris that fell in the pool while we were away. Ran a super chlorinate again. Husband brushed pool.

Wed July 9th test results

pH = 7.5-7.8
FC =8.0
CC =<0.5 (so slightly pink that I added 1 drop just confirm that it water could be clearer)
TC =<8.5
CH = 300
TA = 80

Just to be on safe side I added 12 ounces of algaecide (Poly60). Red/brown stains gone from plaster but still on plastic.

Thurs July 10

pH = 7.5-7.8
FC/TC = 6.0
didn't test everything else

Assumed all was good because pool bc lots of bright sun and kids swimming to drop in FC seemed normal.

Friday July 11 - changed cartridges (this is probably unrelated but worth noting - cartridges were cleaned in Dawn liquid and though they were rinsed we have some residue/bubbles in pool.)

Sat July 12
pH = 7.5-7.8
TC/FC = 4.0

Again assume all is good bc FC is dropping to normal SWG level (based on CYA) and lots of bright sun and swimming.

Today - Sunday July 13

pH = 7.5-7.8
TC/FC = 3.0
CH = 300
TA = 90 (not sure if its creeping up - may be due to Dawn in pool)

Red Stains on plaster today!! See photo - you can see the brown on the skimmer flap. I started another super chlorinate and ran to store to buy bleach.

Do I have algae? Do I need to SLAM? Should I run an OCLT tonight? Just confused bc numbers look good.

Attachments

• IMG_3086.jpg
    IMG_3086.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 94
I think I have algae or something equally as good.

OCLT
Last night
TC/FC = 5.0
This morning
FC =4.0
CC = 0.5

So I'm assuming I have something going on that has been disguised by my SWG. At night when SWG is not on something appears but then pool runs and I don't test til afternoon and whatever was there is masked.

I started the slam process.

Been slamming pool for 2 days. Didn't pass the OCLT again. However, we received over an 1 in of rain. Added more bleach 2x today. Probably not going to OCLT tonight since we are currently receiving a ton of rain again. Tomorrow I'll continue slam and then do another OCLT. Hope I'm good by Thursday.

- - - Updated - - -

Can I add CYA during SLAM?

When I complete slam per the 3 criteria, do I add CYA immediately or wait a few days for FC to start to float down to normal levels? Also, should I turn off SWG while FC floats down - I don't want to prolong it.

You can start adding the CYA after you meet all 3 criteria to stop the SLAM. Then adjust your FC for the CYA level you aim for. Let the FC drift down to it or raise it up. The new addition of CYA will take up to a week to fully register on a test, so just assume it's there.
Also your SWG should be off for the SLAM.

I have two large white pines next to my pool slide and I get a red color like that on my slide steps which collect water from the pollen. I rinse them off and wipe off ever so often with the chlorinated pool water and it goes away. I don't get that in my skimmers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can use the SWG during the SLAM to help maintain FC levels; however, it must be off to perform the OCLT.

You can add the CYA as soon as the SLAM is completed.

Once you meet/pass the 3 criteria to be done with the SLAM, you can let the FC drift down ( SWG off) and turn SWG on when the level gets close to where you want it. You will then need to monitor and dial the SWG in for maintenance level FC.

We recommend having the SWG off for the entire SLAM. No sense in running it as it won't be able to keep up with high chlorine demand during a SLAM. After the SLAM is over and your CYA level is adjusted to 70-80 then fire it back up.
Yes run your filter 24/7 during the SLAM. ?

I have two large white pines next to my pool slide and I get a red color like that on my slide steps which collect water from the pollen. I rinse them off and wipe off ever so often with the chlorinated pool water and it goes away. I don't get that in my skimmers.

The one thing that is crossing my mind is that we had our stamped concrete deck sealed last month and it's that color!! Not sure if the rain from Hurricane Arthur dragged some into the pool. Although we've had rain since the deck has been sealed so it seems unlikely but we weren't here for the storm so not sure how intense it was. I'll finish slam and see if any of it goes away . I can alway soak the return nozzles after closing.

We also have a redish stamped concrete but never thought that may be the cause of the redish color on the slide steps..hmmm. Still think it is from the white pine tree pollen.

FRUSTRATED!! Today kept adding bleach to get up to shock level. Can't count the gallons of bleach I've added. FC dropped during the day but was expected since we had hot sun and low CYA. Will run an OCLT tonight.

FC=16 now.
CC= 0.5.

Here's the frustrating part. Over a month ago I did an AA treatment. For the most part it was successful. I added a ton of sequestant too afterwards. Unfortunately had no idea as to the right amount. Since treatment I've added 2 maintenance doses. Today I decided to rub the skimmer with vitamin c and it came right off! So I guess my problem is metal. Not sure how all my white returns and skimmers turned red in 5 days while we were away. Where did it come from - rain? I added city water.

What do I do? Do I finish slam? CC have been 0 or 0.5. Can I just add metal magic to pool now or do I have to wait for FC level to drop down to something more reasonable? Does it matter when I add the CYA? Just nervous about adding CYA then deciding to do another AA treatment? Any clue as to how much metal magic I'll need? Do you think it will get rid of the stains on the returns etc? Otherwise I will be swimming around rubbing vitamin c on the returns. Can a pool store give me an close estimate of the amount of metals in the water?

You should finish the SLAM first.

Stains can be addressed later.

If the stains have redeposited on the pool, the metals test cannot reflect them; but, I'd try the metals test anyway to maybe see what is remaining.

You can try crushing some cheap vitamin C tabs in a sock and rubbing on the stains - if you don't have much staining. I don't see why you could not go ahead and do that now.

Did you use one of the recommended sequestrants w/the AA treatment
What are the instructions on the Metal Magic?

I'm not a pro at this by any means ,but have a question on why you think you failed the OCLT test. The test numbers you posted on 7/14/14 for your first overnight test show you losing only 1ppm of chlorine with .5 CC, isn't that passing? Maybe the deposits in your pool aren't algae?

I thought I had algae last year because I had deposits in my pool and continued to slam for like 3 weeks. Turns out I didn't need to slam and it was rust sediment (I think that's what it was called) in my pool which eventually filtered out after a couple weeks. Keeping my pool at shock and above for so long just made it worse. I hope I'm not looking silly here mentioning this, I'm just really curious why your test numbers aren't considered passing OCLT. Anyways, lol, I hope you get your pool figured out soon! Crossing fingers for you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.