Is it OK for my builder to add a suction line he forgot??? Leak concern here.

Long story but my pool builder forgot to put in the dedicated suction cleaner line we had spec'd in. The pool has just been plastered and filled. He went through all of the piping and valving and when I asked him where the dedicated cleaner line he basically said, "oops, forgot it." After a bit of back and forth he said he can dig down next to the pool and put one in. He made it sound like no big deal. Is this okay and can it be done well? Or might it be a future trouble spot? I am concerned it will be difficult to seal there and may leak. Should I have other concerns with regard to this line? Any input would be appreciated. (I want to valve this line so I can leave the cleaner in and program my automation to open the valve to clean on a schedule as opposed to putting it in the skimmer every time I want to clean. I've got automation for everything else and the cleaner was one of the main ones I wanted).

Thanks Jbiz. Already have the cleaner and like the idea of being able to leave it in and just schedule it to come on a couple of times during the day. I can see adding a line before the plaster more than after. I guess I'm wondering if this is fairly routine or out there an may lead to leak and plaster problems down the road. I have lost confidence in this builder, if they could get it wrong or screw it up ... they have. At this point I don't trust their judgement and, before I tell them to add the line, want to make sure it's not a huge no no.

I have lost confidence in this builder
That is a FAR bigger issue than leaving or not leaving a robot in the pool.

With you having no confidence, why in the world would you engage him to make a repair to your pool when the entire thing can be solved neatly and easily with a robot.

Assuming I had no confidence in a builder, about the last thing I would want is to have him back out to fix things!!

Why do you suddenly expect he will change his building practiced and start doing nice work?

I don't really expect him to change his practices but I am not sure how big a deal it is to add such a line. Sounds big to me but he seems to think it's not. Over the life of the pool, being able to leave my cleaner in the pool and it turning on and off automatically is a big deal. I MUCH prefer that to having to haul my robot out daily to do it. So, if it's a relatively doable task than yes, I could see the builder doing it. He has been building pools for 30 years and has a decent reputation it just seems with my pool everything has gone wrong. If it's not that uncommon to add a line after plaster and it generally is done very clean then yes, I want it done. If it's rarely done and is very difficult, then I don't. That's basically my question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.