PH 7.5
CL 1
FC 1
CC 1
TC 2
CH 125
TA 140
CYA the dot never disappeared.
I just turned up the chlorinator to 6. I added 2lbs of stabilizer on Thurs but not sure cause it says it may take a week to show up.Also since I have the trichlor tabs going not sure if I have to add more via sock method. If I do put in stabilizer, is it safe to swim while its dissolving?

Your CC are a bit high, likely due to the low FC. With low CYA, the FC may be dropping low in the sun.

You can use PoolMath to know how much CYA the tablets are adding and keep track. And yes it is safer to swim while the CYA is dissolving.

I forgot to mention that it is a fresh complete fill so I am building the numbers up. It says 13oz of Trichlor. I have 9 tablets in the chlorinator. Since my numbers are just getting started, how often should I re do yhese tests. Especially since I cant tell the cya yet

What is 13oz of Trichlor? 9 tablets is like 4.5 pounds of Trichlor. Your pool is big so it is going to take a lot of Trichlor to build the CYA maintain adequate FC.

How much stabilizer did you add?

2lbs thursday and I'm about to add 5lbs by the suggested sock method.

- - - Updated - - -

The chlorinator is also new so I'm not sure where that needs to be. I guess that will be trial and error until I get and maintain the chlorine at 4ppm.

Trev, You have a good size pool and it will take a good bit of stabilizer to get your CYA numbers up. Just asking for clarification. Did you read through Pool School?
Hopefully you understand that Trichlor tablets contain stabilizer and that they will also raise your CYA. Do you know it will take at least a week or more for the CYA to show up on your tests? Be careful you are not adding stabilizer and using "pucks". You don't want to overshoot and have too much CYA. You won't like draining that pool so soon!!

The can says 1lb per 3000 gal will give an initial cya of 40ppm. If I'm correct (and I might not be) lol 10lbs will give that to me. If I do 5lbs that should give me roughly 20ppm plus what the trichlor gives me. That would be around 25 to 30 ppms. That sound correct? I only added about 2.5 lbs to start off today. In total since thurs thats 4.5 lbs.

I'm not sure what you are looking at. Why would you want to use trichlor tabs in the first place? It's much easier and better to control using powdered stabilizer and the sock method. At this point, just use liquid chlorine (bleach). This way you can target the CYA level you want to achieve and you are not guessing. If I were you, I would pull all the pucks out, tell us how much stabilizer you already put in and target your FC to the level you think you have. Wait a week and retest your CYA.

Hide the trichlor, dichlor, and anything else you bought at the pool store and stop making things so complicated. :p
Trust in the TFP method and you'll do fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are my newest test results. The chlorine is a little high due to a mix up between me and pool math. that is okay because I have a party on Saturday that will eat up the chlorine due to heavy bather load.
PH 7.3
FC 7.5
CC LESS THAN .5
TC 8
CH 150
TA 125
CYA ? Accrding to pool math should be 25
FOr CYA the dot never disappeared. I did put in a total of 6lbs this week 2 on sun/mon and 4 on tues. The dot is getting cloudy but not gone. Hopefully I can get an accurate reading in a couple days. I did have to drain about 5-6 inches out of the pool because of alot of rain that took the water level over the top of the skimmer opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.