Test kits question

Cyric

Jul 9, 2014
Orlando
So we went to the store today and i talked to my parents again about the TF-100 and they werent to fond of coughing up the money so we went for a AquaChem 3 way test kit, bromine, chlorine, PH

Whadya guys think?

RESULTS coming soon

So we went to the store today and i talked to my parents again about the TF-100 and they werent to fond of coughing up the money so we went for a AquaChem 3 way test kit, bromine, chlorine, PH

Whadya guys think?

RESULTS coming soon
Sorry to say, you get what you pay for.

To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the recommended test kits list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

I look at it like this... 1 wrong move with an inferior test kit & or opening the pool up with wrong test results just cost ya the difference between the 2 test kits. At least thats how im selling the purchase to the wife.lol.

On previous posts you say you use tabs and shock weekly, which says your CYA is going up. As it goes up you need to increase the amount of FC to compensate. Your 3 way kit is really a 2 way as the bromine test does nothing for you. Plus, the chlorine test is limited.

Relying on pool store testing is a bad idea. If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing.

But, with all that being said there are lost of folks who don't test at all so you are ahead of them.

Ok so, chlorine is off the charts, orange color in the test tube, and PH was abysmal, my grandpa is good at pools and is arriving shortly were gonna make a run to the pool store to raise the PH and lower the acid

Any advice?

Any advice?
Yes, but it's blunt. Raising the pH and lowering the acid is about the same thing as filling your gas tank in the car and then draining it. That will have no affect other than to confuse you further......and you are already very confused about pool water chemistry.

Since you are not going to do what has been suggested, it is pointless to suggest anything else.

I'm sure your Grandpa will have a good grip on things and you can get your pool clear but there is no sense to ask for advice and then ignore it..........it wastes everyone's time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For me keeping track of the test results, actions due to results, weather, pool activities like aerating, cleaning the filter, when i ran the pump, added water, ect are essential to getting a grasp on what happens per the activities. I use an excel spreadsheet to tally the activities, read & ask Q's in the forums to help with the lessons learned process. :)

I REALLY HATE making the same mistake twice or not knowing the how what and when.

Just to clarify the statements being made: The TF-100 tests for Free Chlorine, Combined Chlorine, pH, Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, and CYA. For a plaster pool all 6 of these are vital.

The AquaChem 3-way tests for pH and Total Chlorine (Not FC as you said earlier). The TC test also measures bromine, but you don't have a bromine pool so that number isn't useful for you. So this 3-way kit only tests 1 important number, leaving 5 vital numbers a mystery.

We have other projects on it to, undernearth the pump the concrete block is soaked as, so my pumps leaking, and my nature 2 box is leaking out the sides so were gonna fix that, Heres my to-do list

1:New guage
2: Test water
3: repair pump
4: repair nature 2/add nature2

Were almost considering dumping half the pool due to our chlorine levels being through the roof but we are going to wait for the TF-100 results before we do anything

Don't worry about the chlorine it will come down all on its own. For sure, don't dump any water for it. You have pucks in it? You can take them out if you think the fc is too high, but I'd wait for your test kit to come in. This might be one time to get your pool store to test the fc-- I wouldn't even bother to have them test the cya.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.