Is it Black Algae??

Jul 26, 2008
Hi ya'll!! I have been lurking on this site for months, reading Everything. My husband says I am obsessed. It is kind of ironic that this morning I ordered the test kit. This afternoon I went for a swim and I have small black spots (about 20) on the side of my pool wall. My husband and I both agree it looks like someone scratched the pool and messed up the side. I scraped it with my fingernail and nothing cam off. We bought this home about a year ago and have had a "pool guy". On June 13, 08 I had a SWG installed (it still does not work) but that is another story. I thougnt that I could do this pool thing on my own so I let the pool guy go. I do not know what my numbers are (until I get my kit). I know my chlorine (according to the strips) is ok for pool. My question is how do I know if this is black algae or someone (3 kids) rubbed the sides with something rough.. Sorry to ramble on but I am sooo stressed I do not even think I am going to be able to sleep tonight. My water is clear (at least I know that much).

Thankyou so much for your help

Shannon Jordan
North Richland Hills, TX
24,000 gal (I think)
SWG
DE filter
Gunite(sp?)

Welcome to TFP!! :wave:

If your able to, posting pictures of the algae would be helpful in determining what type it is. Also taking your water to a PS and haveing it tested and posting the results here too will help until your test kit arrives in a few days.

Im sure one of our experts will chime in shortly

I have returned from Leslies and I have my test results....

FC 5
PH 7.3
TA 90
hardness 175
CYA 40
Phosphates 300

Thanks for your help.. What a great site

Shannon Jordan
IG gunite
24,000 gallons
Clear water
SWH (hopefully working Tuesday)
DE filter

One way to tell if the stain is organic, is take a tri-chlor chlorine tablet, gently rub it on the stain and see if the stain fades....you may need to leave the puck setting on the stain for several minutes. If it doesn't change then it's not likely to be algae.

The other option is some kind of metal stain, try the same trick with a Vitamin C tablet, if it fades or lifts, the stain is metal.

Your numbers look okay to me. Is your water clear? Are you constantly maintaining that FC of 5? Algae can easily take hold, especially black algae, in pools where the FC is not maintained properly. If it is algae you will need to shock your pool, which you can read about in Pool School.

You may consider increasing your CH number, it's a tad low for a plaster pool.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Thank you so much for your help and your response. Well, today I got in my pool I took one of those Mr Clean white sponges and with a lil elbow grease rubbed all of the "black stuff" off. I dont know if you can rub algae "off" with a sponge but I did. I will watch and see if anything returns to the spot. Whatever it was is gone for the meantime. I will let you know.

Shannon Jordan :-D

shannonij said:
I have returned from Leslies and I have my test results....

FC 5
PH 7.3
TA 90
hardness 175
CYA 40
Phosphates 300

Thanks for your help.. What a great site

Shannon Jordan
IG gunite
24,000 gallons
Clear water
SWH (hopefully working Tuesday)
DE filter

Did they give you your TC & CC #'s from the pool store?

You do need to increase your CH to between 250 & 350.

Welcome to the forum! :-D