Air bubbles in system filter pressure dropped to 0

Feb 21, 2014
dfw tx
Noticed this when I got back into town. Filter dropped to zero and air is coming out of return eyeballs and is inside the clear thing in front of the pump.

It was fine about 3 days since I left for business.

So process of elimination.

1. Checked skimmer, just a few bugs not clogged.
2. Checked clear basket in front of pump and relubbed oring/inspected. Both are ok.
3. Opened up filters, cartridge filters look good nothing wrong and nothing blocking them.
4. did the bucket test to make sure there was no leak after 24hrs water is even with pool ( dropped 1/8th of an inch in 104 heat).
5. sprayed pool equipment with water from a spray bottle to see if there were any noticeable bubbles and nothing.

Out of ideas whats my next step to check?

Return eyes aren't moving water as strong as they were when I left but it isn't a drastic reduction.
Pump still going strong running it only 4hrs in the daytime 6 at night with the heat.

It sure sounds like you are sucking air from somewhere. Somewhere on this site there is a permanent article on what to check if you are sucking air. I have had a lot of trouble with that myself. It has never been anything serious. Low water and weir door problems for me. Others have big trouble getting the lid basket O ring installed properly. Less often it seems to be obstructions in the line from the skimmer to the pump. Rarer still are broken pipes under ground or loose joints above ground. So as you continue to fight, I would suggest you go in that order and eliminate each one. But it has to be one of the problems above. Check and double check and you will find it eventually.

Just wanted to update this since I had a weird situation and maybe it might be helpful for others if they are searching.

Turns out that a blade of long grass went thru the skimmer and managed to somehow wrap around the impeller and it was causing the pump to work slower or somehow create air bubbles. Only found out about it since it wrapped so tight the bolt holding it came loose and started rattling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.