Question about low TA

Mark R

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2013
Desert Southwest, USA
I just wanted to make sure that I should add baking soda ? I thought during my initial reading of all things in this section that it would raise my TA up. It's at<45 right now and I'm having at add 1/2 gallon of MA weekly. I would like to get TA up to 90 so I don't have to add so much MA

Latest Test results

FC 9.. I like to keep it just a little high due to all day sunlight and solar system :cool:
CC 0
PH 7.4
CH 600 :mad:
TA <45
CYA 60
Water temp is at 88

The TFP method is very therapeutic for me as I get to spend more time with the pool, which I love to do. I still have a suction vac which I enjoy as of now, even though at times it's a PIA when I'm lazy

Thank you, my water has been crystal clear and the maintenance has been crazy easy so far this year !!
I'm pretty proud of myself as I thought with the heat in the desert it would be a bit of a hassle doing all this myself :p Lots of Chlorine though, I was expecting that and was prepared for it. I'm about to buy another 20 gallons of 10% at 2.30 a gallon :rolleyes:

Raising the TA will very likely mean more acid, not less. Higher TA and lower PH both increase the rate at which the PH goes up. On the other hand, TA of 60 is as low as I recommend going when not using borates. Lowering the amount of aeration, to the extent possible, can help limit PH increases.

Note: if your plaster is less than one year old there will also be PH increase from the plaster, and higher TA will moderate that to a small extent.

From what I see in Pool Math you need to put in about 14 cups of baking soda to go from 40 to 90 with your alkalinity . Or about 3/4 of a 12 lb Walmart bag. http://www.walmart.com/ip/17043412?...54612470&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=38840639230&veh=sem
Adding the baking soda might also increase the pH so after adding and letting it mix you should recheck the pH and adjust as necessary.

That sounds like a pretty good price. Where do you get your bleach ??

I just wanted to make sure that I should add baking soda ? I thought during my initial reading of all things in this section that it would raise my TA up. It's at<45 right now and I'm having at add 1/2 gallon of MA weekly. I would like to get TA up to 90 so I don't have to add so much MA
The paragraph confuses me a little so let's review the basic methods by which you adjust those parameters....

1. TA up - add baking soda....it will have VERY little affect on pH

2. TA down - aeration/acid method. This seemingly rather complex process works wonderfully if you stick to the precise wording in the article. Your TA will stay down and your pH will "step" up in increments. Seems confusing at first but it plat out works if you do it correctly.

3. pH up - Add 20 mule team borax. TA comes up, too, but it is very predictable and gives you a very accurate result.

4. pH down - Add muriatic acid. TA comes down, too, but again, in a predictable manner so it is an easy process to control.

So think of those 4 processes as individual steps and take them nice and slow and you will get the results you want..

Jason suggested raising he TA to about 60, rather than 90. Raising TA to 90 would just be shooting yourself in the foot where the acid use is concerned.

So, you should add baking soda to increase TA to about 60. Then turn off, or turn down the amount of aeration.

You can then monitor the pH and TA and see how that works for now.

- - - Updated - - -

btw, how old is the pool?

Pool is 10 years old. Bleach is purchased at Nevada Pool Supply in Las Vegas
Thanks for the answers

Thanks

Edit: I'll aim for 60-70 on the TA. I thought I read that a higher TA will control the wild swings in PH, as long as the TA is in range. I didn't communicate that with the original post.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.