First TF-100 test in new pool

Jul 6, 2014
Country Club, MO
I'll post the results AFTER I give everyone some background from another thread.

pH keeps creeping up past 8.2 or higher and the chlorine is obviously non existent. I add 1/2 of a gallon of muriatic acid, wait a few hours, then add 1.5 gallons of liquid shock. Next morning things are where they need to be. Chlorine is around a 2 or 3 and the pH is about 7.2 to 7.4. I wait 24 hours, test again, (with a cheap wal mart kit) and it is back to 8.2 pH and .5 or zero chlorine. I redo the acid and shock and the next morning it is back to "normal".

So a few days ago I did this and took a test sample to my local chemical store because I still didn't have my TF-100. They said the chlorine was a 10 and everything else was "perfect". I figured the Wal Mart kit was junk, bad or off. I come home, use the cheap test kit again and I show a .5 on chlorine and 8.2 pH. UGH

Today I received the TF-100 (hope I'm spelling it correctly) here are my results:

Cl - .5 (if not more zero than anything)
Br - 1
pH - 8.2
FC - 3 (I might not have done this correctly)
CC - 1.5
TC - 4.5
CH - 200
TA - 120
CYA - 20

PS. Let me add my water is really cloudy and the floor is dirty from the concrete company adding some Kool Deck today. We went ahead and swam for a little anyway after I back washed and rinsed in hopes I could clear it up a little more before I vacuum tomorrow. I am going to vacuum tomorrow, add some muriatic acid tonight, 1/2 gallon of liquid shock and retest tomorrow evening or Monday afternoon. FYI.

You need to stay on top of the PH. Try to make sure the PH never goes above 8.0. The PH will go up rapidly for roughly a month after fresh plaster is applied. After that it will slow down significantly, but continue going up for up to a year.

Your CYA level is really low, so you are losing a lot of chlorine to sunlight. I recommend raising CYA to around 40.

You need to S.L.A.M your pool

Bring pH down to 7.4 and add enough CYA to get to 30, then follow the SLAM instructions in pool school. This could take several days and lots of bleach.

After the SLAM, don't forget that chlorine is needed daily.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

I understand now. The pool has vermiculite under the liner if that is what you mean by plaster. So the vermiculite is causing the high pH not the CYA. Got it. The PB still isn't finished as there are a few loose ends to tie up before I get the final bill. I am NOT paying until they are finished. :)

Are your eyeballs pointed up and breaking the surface when you run the pump? That could cause it to rise. I see you have fountains. Are you running them constantly? That will cause the pH to sky rocket too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.