Raising CYA level

May 11, 2014
Corona, CA
I need to add 5 lbs of stabilizer (dry) into my pool, according to the poolmath calculator.
A pool store nearby said to add them directly into skimmer basket.
I think I read in this forum to put them in a sock or pantyhose and locate it near skimmer.

What is the advantage of using a sock or pantyhose?
A pool store guy said it is not necessary to do that.

I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance

If you add it into the skimmer basket, it won't have any time to dissolve before it gets filtered out. They say it takes a week for it to show up on the CYA test, so the sock/pantyhose in front of a return sounds like a good way to "slow-release" CYA into the pool without having it get filtered out.

If you dump it in the skimmer, it goes right to your pump, where it will sit for days on end and, you will not be able to backwash the filter if you had to do so compared to using the sock or panty hose. When put in front of the return and manually massaged into the water, you can get it done and over with in an hour.

- - - Updated - - -

If you add it into the skimmer basket, it won't have any time to dissolve before it gets filtered out. They say it takes a week for it to show up on the CYA test, so the sock/pantyhose in front of a return sounds like a good way to "slow-release" CYA into the pool without having it get filtered out.

CYA can not be filtered out of water. The only way it can be removed from water is using reverse osmosis or draining and refilling.

I just added 7 lbs using the sock method in front of return jets and they dissolved within hours. I know it is highly acidic, so I'm not sure about any complications with it being stuck in the filter until it dissolves (maybe it does some damage IDK). But the sock method is highly recommended here instead of directly dumping the granules into your filter through the skimmer.

Keep reading as much as you can on this site. You will learn very fast that you want to trust the experts here than the pool store guys.

There are also a couple possible reports of pouring it into the skimmer too fast and actually clogging the suction pipe. It will just not dissolve as fast in the filter due to the slower flow rates ... so you never know when it is safe to clean the filter ... this is the biggest reason for the sock.

A pool store guy said it is not necessary to do that.
I think you will find that most people here don't take much stock in what the pool store folks say. In addition to using the sock method you may want to divide you addition of CYA into two batches. If pool math says five pounds, put three pounds in, wait a week and re test. Then re-figure how much you need for the second batch. This will keep you from overshooting your target. You can always add more, reducing CYA is difficult.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.