Enjoying the Coolaid...first AG update for the noob!

Here is the new addition to the back yard: 16' x 48"

Waited for 5 days after our initial fill up and then took my first water sample and had it tested and then applied my first shock treatment. The next day I filled my little floater with a few chlorine tablets and set it to 1/4 and tossed it in. I pulled the filter for my first inspection and it was bitter sweet. I was disappointed/suprized to find such a dirty filter but I'm glad that it did it's job.

Academy Sports (my favorite get away) has the Intex Klearwater sand filter/pump 1200 GPH on sale for $139. I did some reading and decided to jump on it. Dumped the Aqua Chem silica sand in it from Lowes, did a few flushes and rinses, and now I got it running. I bought in to all the positive reviews on Amazon.com and took the chance. Only time will tell. I opted out of the SWG set up with this little pool because of the enhanced corrosion attack salt creates with a metal frame. All in all, I am having just as much fun tinkering and learning about all this as much a I do hanging out with the wife and kids in the pool! Unfortunately, Florida is getting slammed with rain today so everybody gets to stay inside today :(

Welcome.

I see you waited a week to test the water and put chlorine in it? Doing so will invite more guest than you anticipate and they wear green. :shock:

You should order a test kit as an investment to keep your pool sparkily clean and clear so you and your family can use it whenever you want. :arrow: Test Kit Comparison. The TF100 is the best deal for the money as you will get more reagents than the K2006 offers. Both are great kits.

Also, You need to ditch the pucks and manually add stabilizer to your pool. You are losing all of your FC to the sun and the pucks are not pushing enough chlorine to keep up with the demand. Unscented bleach is your friend. Please read these helpful links to get you started. If you have any questions, please ask.

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Chlorine CYA Chart

Oh and before I forget... You did a great job on your pool build! It looks great! :cool:

If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing.

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

So, welcome to TFP!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.