jenniferm's diy pool build

May 4, 2014
Rhome Texas
In the process of building a 20,000 gallon concrete block liner pool. Much harder than I thought!! I am stuck on the equipment.

I bought the Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump Energy Star Certified http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP340...5019618&sr=8-1&keywords=hayward+variable+pump

I am looking for a filter now. From what I have read looks like the DE are better? Would this one work with the pump I bought http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-EC65A...=1405019723&sr=8-2&keywords=hayward+de+filter

I have no idea what I am doing and to be honest I should not have taken on this project! We had NO idea how difficult this would be. Looking at peoples pictures here and you tube videos it looks so easy! :brickwall:

updated with pictures of the progress..

Re: What filter should I get to go with this pump?

Welcome to TFP!

There is really no better or worse when it comes to filters. DE filters do a very good job filtering, but that can be a serious problem if you let the pool get dirty, and some municipalities restrict the discharge of backwash water. You also generally have to disassemble them for seasonal cleaning. Sand filters are almost bullet-proof, and extremely low maintenance, but don't filter quite as finely as others. Cartridge filters don't waste much pool water, but require cleaning regularly.

Knowing where in the US you live would help with better recommendations about what would work best for you. Just don't go for the cheapest of any type. They will generally be undersized and cause you headaches down the road. You are usually best served with the largest filter you can get as long as the pump has enough flow for backwashing.

Thanks! I am located in the country in Rhome Texas. I have 2.5 acres and the pool is on a slope (away from the house) and there are nothing but cows behind us. Discharging water is pretty easy :)

I splurged on the pump to get the variable speed so I wanted to go cheaper with the filter. The one I posted says it is for a 32,640 gallon pool. That is bigger than mine so the size should work, but it looks different than the round filters like this http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-DE362...=1405020682&sr=8-3&keywords=hayward+de+filter But the first one is $100 cheaper. I am so lost :( I havent even begun looking at salt water systems!

We are hoping to finish up and measure for a liner this weekend. I have to get all of this stuff together or my husband will kill me!

Two things that could influence your decision. Do you close the pool in the winter? If so, a DE filter could be a little more trouble when opening. Not a deal breaker, but worth considering.

The first filter you listed is a "bump" type filter and requires disassembly to clean it. I'd recommend the second one with the full multiport valve.

Off to research if I need to close the pool in the winter! Thanks for the info! I am so new to this I feel like I should have taken a class!

It's not complicated, just a lot of new things at once.

Best way to find out if you need to close is to ask neighbors or local pool stores. Some areas are marginal where it's too cold to use the pool, but too warm to shut it down. People switch into a kind of low maintenance winter mode where they run the pump mostly when it is going to be cold and add chlorine infrequently.

The issue with DE and winterizing the pool is that if you allow the pool to get green and nasty over the winter, the DE does such a good job filtering that it can become clogged in just an hour or so with the dirty water. This isn't a huge issue if someone is there most of the time during the few days it takes to get the water clear, but if everyone works it can delay getting things going. Like I said, it's not a deal breaker, but you need to be aware that the issue can occur.

What John said about cartridge filters needing to be cleaned regularly (and I am understanding him to mean frequently) is not necessarily true. If you get a large filter you can perhaps get by with only a once per year cleaning. I have a cartridge filter and am very happy with the water.

I would not get the first DE filter you listed. The second one you listed is really the MINIMUM size you should get. See the table in this thread to see recommended filter sizes. It is usually a good idea to get a filter bigger than the minimum in that table if you are getting a DE or cartridge filter. That will cut down on the frequency the filter needs to be cleaned. This 48 sq. ft. DE filter might be a good one for you. Note that the filters typically don't come with the valve, and you have to buy them separate. I think that one you linked to on Amazon shows the slide valve but does not actually come with the valve. Like John said, a multiport valve would be better (but also more expensive) than a slide valve.

For a cartridge filter I would recommend this 325 sq. ft. filter. You could always go bigger.

When you said you splurged on the pump so you wanted to go cheap on the filter - that is almost 180 degrees backwards of what you should do - generally - get the biggest filter that you can afford / will fit into the space and then worry about a pump. VS pumps would be nice, but you can get 70-80% of the runtime savings with a 2 speed pump running on low speed and for a significantly less upfront cost. VS pumps really come into their own on cost savings the more you pay for electricity - commonly 20 cent/ KWh or more.

The type of filter doesn't really matter - any of the common types you have seen listed in this thread are fine.

When you said you splurged on the pump so you wanted to go cheap on the filter - that is almost 180 degrees backwards of what you should do - generally - get the biggest filter that you can afford / will fit into the space and then worry about a pump. VS pumps would be nice, but you can get 70-80% of the runtime savings with a 2 speed pump running on low speed and for a significantly less upfront cost. VS pumps really come into their own on cost savings the more you pay for electricity - commonly 20 cent/ KWh or more.

The type of filter doesn't really matter - any of the common types you have seen listed in this thread are fine.

oh, that makes sense! Someone local told me the pump mattered more. ugh! Oh well. I ended up getting this 36 sf one http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-DE362...=1405020682&sr=8-3&keywords=hayward+de+filter I am sure it will work out, if now I will have to buy a bigger one. I am not 100% on the pool size. I used an online calculator but I am not sure I did it right. It is just under 20x40 with a 12x12 shallow 2 ft side. It is 3.5 ft on one end and 6 ft on the other. So confusing!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where should the equipment go?

My neighbor had told me that the pump and filter needed to be at water level for it to work properly. I wasnt sure if that was true so I thought I would ask here :) I had a bid from a local pool company for an in ground pool and they were going to put the equipment in my bushes that is about 30 ft from the pool and probably a 10 ft higher elevation. We decided to build our own in ground block and vinyl pool. I want to put the equipment at the back of the pool, but maybe 5 ft below the water line so we can cover it up with an enclosure. Will that be ok or do I need to bring it up higher and build a little box around it to hide it?

Re: Where should the equipment go?

Lower is ok if drainage around the pad is not a problem. You don't want everything sitting in standing water after a hard rain. A good pump can push water up to the roof of a garage for solar heating and provide circulation for the pool, so I think with the pump you have, you would be able to install it in either location and be fine. How deep is the finished pool going to be?

It will be 3.5 ft on one end and 6 ft on the deep end. The place we want to put the pump is on a slope so drainage is not a problem at all. Here is a picture. We want to put the equipment on the back far left side. There is a 4 ft drop from the front right to the back left of the pool. We will backfill later and build a square enclosure with blocks for the equipment. oh and the picture is tilted, the pool is level :)
w0769.jpg

I hope you keep posting pics of your progress. And for the record, I will never own anything BUT a DE filter. They filter the water so well even if they need baby sat to clean a green swamp. They can clear a swamp in days though if one follows the SLAM process. :goodjob:

Hope you get a good test kit while you're out spending money on your pump/filter. Check them out here :arrow: Test Kit Comparison. The TF100 will get you more testing reagents than the K2006 but they are both great kits. :goodjob:

I hope you keep posting pics of your progress. And for the record, I will never own anything BUT a DE filter. They filter the water so well even if they need baby sat to clean a green swamp. They can clear a swamp in days though if one follows the SLAM process. :goodjob:

Hope you get a good test kit while you're out spending money on your pump/filter. Check them out here :arrow: Test Kit Comparison. The TF100 will get you more testing reagents than the K2006 but they are both great kits. :goodjob:

I was looking at the test kits. Would the TF 100 be good for a salt pool?

I have taken lots of pictures! :) I cant wait till it is finished so I can post them. I have spent hours looking through info here and have learned a lot!

HI Jenniferm.
Welcome to TFP. I certainly admire your tenacity in taking on your own pool build. :). It is quite a project.
The TF 100 Test kit is an awesome test kit and will be great for your Pool. It does not include a test for salt level, but then, no test kit does. Salt isnt someting you have to test for regularly. You can add the salt test strips on the same website to your order, or just wing it like most of us do. We can help you with the winging it part when it comes time to.

One big suggestion on your pool equipment location. If you install the equipment downhill, below the waterline, you will need to put shut off valves on all of the suction and return lines. Otherwise, when you open the pump basket for cleaning or filter, the water will drain out of the pool because of the syphon effect.

Afraid I cant help with a bubbler.

EDIT: LOVE your signature! hahahahhahah!!!! I bet this is going to be a fun thread to watch. Pls post more pics as you go!

Hi JenniFerm, I just started the same type of build. While I am no expert by any means you may want to consider a bond beam for the top course of block. Especially if part of your pool is out of the ground. Good luck with your build, I will be following along.

Hi JenniFerm, I just started the same type of build. While I am no expert by any means you may want to consider a bond beam for the top course of block. Especially if part of your pool is out of the ground. Good luck with your build, I will be following along.

Ok so I will show my ignorance here... what is a bond beam?

Most of the pool will be buried. The back side will have 1 foot above ground. The side that is not completed yet will be buried once we are finished. Three sides will have a concrete sidewalk poured. I just started getting bids for the concrete. I have one in so far and it is ridiculous. approx 400 sf of concrete decking for $3800! that is like $9 per sf of just regular concrete! I am getting more bids soon. I have checked in the area and found that it is usually $4-6 per sf.

- - - Updated - - -

HI Jenniferm.
Welcome to TFP. I certainly admire your tenacity in taking on your own pool build. :). It is quite a project.
The TF 100 Test kit is an awesome test kit and will be great for your Pool. It does not include a test for salt level, but then, no test kit does. Salt isnt someting you have to test for regularly. You can add the salt test strips on the same website to your order, or just wing it like most of us do. We can help you with the winging it part when it comes time to.

One big suggestion on your pool equipment location. If you install the equipment downhill, below the waterline, you will need to put shut off valves on all of the suction and return lines. Otherwise, when you open the pump basket for cleaning or filter, the water will drain out of the pool because of the syphon effect.

Afraid I cant help with a bubbler.

EDIT: LOVE your signature! hahahahhahah!!!! I bet this is going to be a fun thread to watch. Pls post more pics as you go!

Thanks for the info! It will be just below the waterline so we will be sure to put shut off valves in.

This isnt even the first time we have thought we could do something stupid! 4 years ago my husband and brother in law decided they could reroof our house. How to videos make things look so easy in 3 minutes or less! In reality on day 2 I had to go to the parking lot of home depot and hire some day laborers. It was not pretty! I should have know that a POOL would me much harder. We had planned on doing the entire pool (minus hanging the liner because that would take 10 days or order after we had it dug), patio, and a 20x20 cover for the patio in 9 days. Yes, 9 days! My husband took a week off work and they had planned on finishing it all during that week. Ha! It took 3 days just to level the first row of bricks!!! We suck at building stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.