coffee grinder for CYA/stabilizer granules?

Let me be the first to ask, "Why?"

CYA is an annual thing. It seems wasteful to have a dedicated machine for that. And powdered stuff is not such an advantage. Check this thread to see pictures of how it clumps.

Just fill a sock and drop it in the skimmer or hang it in front of a return. The constant water flow will dissolve it fast enough.

Isn't the answer to "WHY?" that generally the more surface area of a chemical (or whatever) that is exposed to the solvent (in this case pool water) then the quicker it will dissolve. Didn't we all do this experiment in about Grade 8 science? And if that is the case then doing this will cause the CYA to start buffering your chlorine more quickly. Or does it not work that way?

Isn't the answer to "WHY?" that generally the more surface area of a chemical (or whatever) that is exposed to the solvent (in this case pool water) then the quicker it will dissolve. Didn't we all do this experiment in about Grade 8 science? And if that is the case then doing this will cause the CYA to start buffering your chlorine more quickly. Or does it not work that way?
WHY don't you follow the link I posted which shows the powder clumping up on the surface?

I have all the patience in the world for smoking a brisket but, I must admit, not much else. Even for me, the sock in the skimmer method dissolves the granular CYA quickly enough especially at the height of the season when the water is at its warmest.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ive thought about adding 10ppm worth of stabilizer to an empty bleach jug, filling it with pool water and let it sit until I need it. Shaking it up from time to time. That way you could have instant CYA already dissolved. I dont know if that would actually work or not but I dont see why not. I havent gotten around to trying it because I havent needed any CYA this year amongst other things.

The solubility of CYA in distilled water is 2.7 g/L so 2700 ppm. If you were to saturate 1 gallon of water with dissolved CYA and then add it to 7500 gallons of pool water, that would only increase the CYA in the pool by 0.4 ppm. In other words, the rest of the CYA still has to dissolve in the bulk pool water so you don't benefit very much at all by trying to pre-dissolve it in a bucket.

Now there is Cyanuric Acid powder and as described in this thread one can swirl it in a slurry and then add it to the pool but note that if you don't carefully stir/swirl it then it cakes up. It also doesn't dissolve instantly, but being a powder it will dissolve faster once dispersed into the bulk pool water.

There is also Natural Chemistry® Instant Pool Water Conditioner, but that is more expensive though it does literally dissolve quickly because it's not cyanuric acid but sodium cyanurate in a slurry.

I have found that I can get CYA to mostly dissolve overnight or certainly over one day if you put it into a sock or T-shirt in the skimmer with the pump running continuously. Water flow helps to dissolve it more quickly. Hanging a sock over a return also works. Note that putting it into the skimmer directly so that it gets caught in the filter is convenient but does not dissolve as quickly since the flow rate in the filter can be rather slow. The flow rate through sand filters is no more than 30" per minute, in DE filters it's around 2.4" per minute, and in cartridge filters it's around 0.4" per minute. Compare that to a skimmer 10" in diameter (78.5 sq. in. area) at 15 GPM (3465 cubic inches per minute) which flows at 44" per minute. So perhaps putting CYA into the skimmer to a sand filter may work OK, but it will take much longer to dissolve in a DE filter and especially a cartridge filter.

Let me be the first to ask, "Why?"

CYA is an annual thing.

I've had to add CYA twice this year, and it is below my target again. I can vouch for the pool keeper trying to gauge chlorine targets while waiting on that sock to dissolve for a week.

Sent from my iPhone

Note that putting it into the skimmer directly so that it gets caught in the filter is convenient but does not dissolve as quickly since the flow rate in the filter can be rather slow. The flow rate through sand filters is no more than 30" per minute, in DE filters it's around 2.4" per minute, and in cartridge filters it's around 0.4" per minute. Compare that to a skimmer 10" in diameter (78.5 sq. in. area) at 15 GPM (3465 cubic inches per minute) which flows at 44" per minute. So perhaps putting CYA into the skimmer to a sand filter may work OK, but it will take much longer to dissolve in a DE filter and especially a cartridge filter.

Can adding it directly without the sock method also cause damage to the filter, since it is acidic and can be stuck there for I'm guessing at least 24 hours even with it running?

No, filter damage is not really an issue, especially if you leave the pump running for 24 hours (as recommended by both our directions and the pour directly in the skimmer directions). There is a small risk of pump damage however, when pouring directly into the skimmer, though this is fairly rare.

I used to add my CYA directly to the skimmer with the pump running. I then found that my cartridge filters were clogged with CYA residue. I cant remember how long it took for them to clean up, but they sure did whiten up! My filter is somewhat on the smallish side for my pool, and I would hate to have to wash all that CYA away with a routine cleaning. I don't have a pressure gauge to know what the flow impact was.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.