You told me....

Sep 17, 2013
DFW metroplex
Just have to say you all were right! We put in the pool over the winter, you may remember what an ongoing challenge it has been and I ordered my test kit. I have to tell you being a newb it was a bit overwhelming but the instructions were detailed and easy even for a greenhorn like me to understand. I've been testing and watching the water, yesterday I realized you all were right I looked at the water and told the husband, I need to add acid before I even tested it. He thought it looked fine and being a chemist by trade wanted to debate it, so I grabbed the test kit and sure enough, the ph was a little high. He was amazed! I told him the folks on the TFP site said you get to the point where you can tell even if it's a bit off just by looking at it! Thanks again for all your help!

You have better eyes than I do if you can just "look" at the water and tell if the PH is off! I have a hard enough time matching the colors testing it. Care to share any tips or secrets regarding the "eyeball" test?

As I've checked the water and tested it - the sparkle isn't there on the days the ph is high - my FC has remained at the 3 - 4 level but when the ph hits above 7.8 - which it does every few days since it's fairly new plaster, I notice it's not as sparkly. I guess I'm imagining it.

I can tell at a glance when the pH in the hot tub is way too high. It just looks, I dunno, thicker somehow. Probably because the alkaline water has slightly different light bending/refracting characteristics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.