Just signed the deal today. YESSSSS!!!

Jul 24, 2008
SW Indiana
We just bought a 20 x 40 vinyl in-ground today to be installed Feb.- March. :-D

We have time to get some options and I want your guys opinion on the entry steps.

The pool comes with the standard plastic steps that cut out into the deck. My wife and I were looking in one of the catalogs that the builder left and liked the "wedding cake" corner steps that are flush with the wall and are covered with the lining.

Any pro's or Con's on this?
Should it add much cost?

Thanks
PP

OOOOOOOOO~ You lucky dog you!

Don't know much about the steps but you are gonna love it regardless of what you choose! 8)

ITs been my experience that under the liner steps look nicer but fiberglass cut in steps are easier. Latham international (pacific and fort wayne pools) makes a fiberglass step that will match certain liners. The problem I have encountered with under liner steps, beyond the anoyance of installation, is that the liner that covers the top step recieves undue wear from its exposure to sunlight. If your water level gets below that step problems can arise. Fiberglass steps can also have issues such as leaking at gaskets, cracking, and discoloring. It is really a matter of taste. Both rarely encounter problems when properly installed.

I was just wondering... what happens to the vinyl lined steps during winterization if you drain water off to prevent bursting pipes? Does the vinyl shrink away from the steps?

Sorry about (highjacking) asking Polish Pounder but maybe this will help in your decision. :shock:

Our pool is about 3 weeks old. We went with the vinyl covered steps, purely for looks. Our builder just asked if we had a dog, which we don't. He just said that vinyl isn't good if you have a dog because they use the steps to get out and their nails cut the liner.

Deb04,

Thanks for the info. I just heard from my builder and it will cost an extra 300 bucks. Are you worried about when you drain your pool or if the top step gets out of the water? Other guys here said that the sun exposure will not be good for the vynyl.

Also, do you have any hand rails for the steps? My wife says she needs hand rails.

Thanks
Bill

This link has my steps. They're pretty nice, made by the same folks who make the wedding cakes. I did not attach the steps to the side. They're made of plastic. I bought a shower-liner from HD to go underneath them so there's not too much wear on the part of the liner where they sit. I am noticing that algae tends to grow on the shower-liner and behind the steps. So I push them away from the wall when I'm not using them, and bring them a couple of inches from the wall when I want to go in.

how-to-attach-wedding-cake-type-steps-to-deck-t8203.html?hilit=wedding%20cake

Sue

ps -- good luck with your build!

We have a handrail.

I didn't even find this site until after the pool was built, so I didn't know that the sun or water too low could be a problem. Since we have the vinyl stairs now, I'll just be sure to not let the water get too low and enjoy the look.

tell your builder you would like a product called the aquador or lidlseal installed with your pool. Not sure of an exact price but it should not exceed 40 bucks per skimmer. Its just a different faceplate which allows you to snap on a lid that looks like it goes to a tupperware container. With this you wont ahve to drain for winter and you wont have to worry about the top step cooking on a hot day when the pools closed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.