12 day vacation

We are leaving for almost two weeks. The pool is new. We can set the variable speed pump on a timer. My thoughts were to shock the pool, leave our cleaner in the pool and set the pump to run 3 hrs at 3450 rpm so the cleaner works, and then run at 600 rpm the rest of the day. Any thoughts on this? We also have an auto fill so I'm not worried about adding water. No trees so the only debris would be bugs and small dirt particles due to construction next door.

Thanks for the help!

SLAM the pool according to your CYA and cover it with a solar cover. It will keep the sun from burning the FC off even faster and you can deal with it when you get home. :goodjob:

No, you can buy a big one and cut it to fit. That's what most people do. Sometimes, if the pool is really big, they just leave that one piece that isn't covered open. It won't hurt anything.

I know they are recommended against for long term use because of the added CYA, but could this person use slow dissolving sticks to maintain a safe amount of chlorine while on vacation?
Tabs in a floater would help for about 7 days, but only if their CYA is low enough that using the tabs is not going to create more of a problem.

The pool is new.
How new? If you are still managing rapidly rising pH and balancing the pool, you need to make arrangements to have it cared for. Also, leaving a new plaster pool unattended could damage the pool and could void warranties.

So, exactly how old is this new pool? :smile:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tabs in a floater would help for about 7 days, but only if their CYA is low enough that using the tabs is not going to create more of a problem.

And if the OP had anyone that could come by in a week and toss in another chlorine tablet it would be something to get him by.

I talked to the guy who trained me on chemicals. He said to add 6 lbs of chlorine and throw 3 sticks in each skimmer and leave the pool circulating at 1200 rpm uncovered with no cleaner running.

The pool was finished in May. We do not have much issues with PH rising. I have only had to lower it once based on tests.

If the only concern is adding chlorine, I could probably ask a neighbor to shock it half way through the trip.

Thanks for all the replies. Pool has done very well so far besides occasional cloudiness from dirt.

I'll post results when I get back. Any more advise is appreciated.

Also, I just tested the water today and got the following.

Hardness <100
FC 1
pH 7.5
TA 80
CYA 30-50

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.