Polaris 280 normal operation at hose connection?

Dec 16, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I've running a Polaris 280 cleaner and just got a new booster pump for it (PB4-60 Zodiac). Running my main pump at 2k RPM during the daily Polaris cycle. Just noticed this for the first time, but there is a intermittent high pitched whining noise (pressurized air) at the connection of the Polaris hose. I also see high pressure bubbles getting pushed out where that little black cap is located (see picture). Is this normal operation and that connection is made to be an air release or do I need to replace some parts to eliminate an air leak?

Attachments

• polaris.jpg
    polaris.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 85
That piece is the pressure relief valve. Some flow of water through there is normal. I might expect some bubbles when the booster pump kicks on, but I wouldn't expect any bubbles after a minute or two.

Are you sure the intermittent high pitched whining noise is coming from there? The intermittent high pitched whining noise I associate with my Polaris always comes from the backup valve cycling on.

That piece is the pressure relief valve. Some flow of water through there is normal. I might expect some bubbles when the booster pump kicks on, but I wouldn't expect any bubbles after a minute or two.

Are you sure the intermittent high pitched whining noise is coming from there? The intermittent high pitched whining noise I associate with my Polaris always comes from the backup valve cycling on.

I did notice the bubbles and whining right when the pump turned on, but will watch for it after a few minutes throughout the cycle. If it is ongoing/continuing past the first few minutes could I have my primary pump at 2k RPM too fast? The booster pump is the standard 1/2hp.

What is the "backup valve" referring to that cycles on? I'm pretty sure it is coming from that connection... but could be wrong.

This is a backup valve:

g-54_2.jpg

It has a clockwork mechanism inside that turns with water flow. At intervals (every 5 minutes or so) a valve is opened and water flows through the jet. This will "fly" the polaris around the pool. This increases the randomness and also helps get it unstuck if gets trapped on stairs or something.

My polaris 280 has a screen in that cap where your arrow is. You need to take it out and clean out the gunck.

- - - Updated - - -

I should also note that mine is probably 10 plus years old and looks to be sucking water inward..so it is not a pressure release in my case.

I was going to start a new thread but the picture on the first post in this thread is exactly what I have. I tried starting the Polaris today and it would run about a minute and a portion of the black O Ring that goes into the wall of the pool slipped out causing a loud squealing noise. Should I just replace that O Ring or is this a sign of something else wrong?

I was going to start a new thread but the picture on the first post in this thread is exactly what I have. I tried starting the Polaris today and it would run about a minute and a portion of the black O Ring that goes into the wall of the pool slipped out causing a loud squealing noise. Should I just replace that O Ring or is this a sign of something else wrong?

Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm having this exact issue with a brand new pressure release valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.