Pump alarm

Apr 26, 2014
Oak Grove, MO
Just a question, and not sure if this is the right place.

This is only the second season for my pool and I'm still learning. Last year I had a hose fail, and just happened to be outside and caught it quick. I replaced all the cheap ribbed hose with the white flex pipe. Yesterday the PVC fillting going out the pump to the sand filter failed - yes - it just split. Luckily my daughter was outside and let me know the pump was spraying water everywhere. Had she not been there, it would have drained the pool below skimmer level in a few minutes and then just sucked air. I'm more than a little nervous about running the pump if I'm not close by.

So - does anyone know what will happen if a pump hose fails and it starts running dry? I assume it would overheat and do a thermal shutdown. I just dropped $300 on a new Pentair Dynamo 1.5HP two speed pump. Not a fan of burning it up. Is there such a thing as a dry pump alarm? How do other people handle the seemingly unavoidable problem of dry pumps? Am I just unlucky or is this a common problem?

If the pump runs dry for several hours it is likely to destroy it's self.

You were unlucky.

There are systems that will shutdown the system if they do not detect water flow, but they are either expensive or a fairly complex DIY project.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.