losing water....leaks or evaporation??

knkp

Jun 25, 2008
We have an 9,200 gallon AG pool and have noticed our water level dropping consistently. We did find 2 small holes in the liner and have patched them with the Boxer 100 patch kit. The water level is still going down. We lose about 1" every 5 to 7 days. I know we lose some water due to splashing, etc. My question is how much loss is due to evaporation? We live in central GA and most days have been sunny, hot (low to mid 90's) & dry.

1" per week in the summer is not unusual at all. Depending on where you live, you could have as much as 3" per week. In the heat of the summer, I have about 2"/week.

Here is a good resource on evaporation and what to expect in your area. These are yearly rates but you can expect close to double the yearly rate during the heat of the summer.

Thanks for the info....the linked website is very interesting. We are new pool owners and just weren't sure. It's nice to know that the water loss is in the normal range. This forum is such a good source of information!! I'm certainly glad I found it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.