CYA Issues -- really want to swim!

May 21, 2012
Kansas City, MO
So I frequently have issues with our CYA not reaching a good level. Using the TF-100, here's what we have:

FC = 3.5
(forgot to test CC)
TA = 80
CYA = between 20-30
pH = 7.3 or 7.4 (hard to be 100% sure)

Water is clear, but mildly cloudy. We also tend to get what I think is pollen at the bottom of our pool pretty regularly. Very aggravating, but it's been like this every year now. A neighbor of mine has the same issue so I assume it's pollen anyway.

Did an overnight test, but realized I had some pucks floating that I hadn't removed. Honestly I don't think they're working anyway. Do they lose their effectiveness after a couple of years? I put about 3 or 4 in the floater last Sunday just to test (FC was at zero). Nothing had changed by Tuesday. And my CYA was still at 20. I've since added bleach as recommended for shock at 20 CYA.

So, I'll continue with the bleach, but obviously need to work on raising the CYA. Can I put the granular cyanuric acid in the sock in the skimmer and still swim, or do we have to wait for that to dissipate and wait even longer? I thought I remembered reading somewhere about waiting a week. Is that correct? My kids haven't had a chance to swim in the pool at all this summer. We had a bad algae problem and a million tadpoles in there about a month ago. Luckily all of that is gone.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Cloudy water and FC not showing up ... Sounds like algae is in the water and you need to follow the SLAM process.

You can swim while the CYA is dissolving. I would want to clear up the water before swimming personally.

Can I put the granular cyanuric acid in the sock in the skimmer and still swim
Yep, you can swim with the sock of CYA in the pool.

You do need to do the SLAM process, but if the water is clear enough so you can see someone on the bottom and the FC is below normal SLAM FC shock level, you can swim. But, doing so will prolong the SLAM process.

Rinse before swimming and take showers after swims. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.