A little help please!

Jul 24, 2012
We just had to replace our Intex SWG after 2 1/2 years( was under warranty so we just got a new one for free). The water is sparkily, Water so clear you could see a needle laying on the bottom!! Confusion comes here:

Total Hardness 200
Total Chlorine 3
Total Bromine 5
Free Chlorine 2
Ph 6.4
Total Alkalinity 100
CYA Under the low color!

I did the calculator to find out what to do.....says to add 367oz. Borax and 158oz. liquid stabilizer. I want to use the 20 mule team borax and muriatic acid. From what I am reading the borax will raise ph too high...is that why I use the Ma...to conteract the rise in ph? I swear by SWG!!! We have never had so many people just marvel at the condition of our pool!

Thanks for everyones assistance on this board! I learn the most lurking on this forum!! Gods blessings to you all!

I would highly recommend not making any adjustments based on test strips. You should get a drop based kit, ideally with the FAS-DPD.

Why are you thinking you need to add all that borax?

The amount of borax came from the pool calculator. Is there really that much difference between the two testing methods?

Is this the proper kit? Taylor | Test Kit | 2000 Pool Inspector, Chlorine (hi range), FAS-DPD/CYA/pH | K-2009

How are you getting these test results? Pool store test results are terribly inaccurate and aren't worth the (free) price you pay for it.

How did you come the conclusion that you needed to add borax and MA? If this is from the pool store, you might have gotten more bad advice. Borax increases PH and nothing else and MA will bring down you PH and TA.

Also, why do you have results for Bromine if this is chlorinated pool? Further proof that your testing is off.

We need the following information before we can help you and offer you specific guidance:
Please put the city and state in which you live in your profile. Your climate is important to the advice you receive.

Signature
Please put the following information in your signature.

The size of your pool in gallons
If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
What kind/model of water test kit you are using
Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.