To Much bleach harmfull? + cya& CH question.

May 27, 2014
Lakewood, NJ
I am new to this whole thing and just wanted to know if i am pouring in a bottle of 64 oz bleach 8.25% every other eve, can this be harmful to pool equipment?
Is there any way to raise cya other then buying stabilizer from pool store i have about 8 tablets in chlorinator cant seen to get cya up i put in 4 lb stabilizer the other day still not getting a cya reading. is CH a factor for vinyl pools, from reading pool school, I thought it wasnt something i should really worry about.

FC 1
CC 1
PH 7.5
CH 25
TA 70

pool ok not crystal clear, running filter 24/7

I have a 17,000 Gal pool, and I use bit over a quart of 8.25% every day, so it is in the same range of usage as you. Your bleack usage rate is just fine. It is not how much you add, it is where your levels are (and yours are pretty low, with a FC of 1)

Your CC is high though, it should be 0 (or maybe just a trace). You should SLAM your pool.

You don't say in your test results what you CYA is, just that you are trying to raise it. Pucks can take a while to raise CYA. I use them if I have to raise it 5 or so PPM after a number of heavy rains. If I need 10 or more ppm, I will use granulated di-chlor for a while, and maybe even straight stabilizer.

Thanks

From what I've learned here, it can take up to a week for CYA to register on a test and that maybe why you can't measure it yet. As the experts here will tell you, your CC's are high and you will probably need to S.L.A.M. But I think you need to get a handle on CYA level first. Also, what are you using to test your water?

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will advise you further!

An aside: Hi phonedave from another person from Morris County!

I have a 17,000 Gal pool, and I use bit over a quart of 8.25% every day, so it is in the same range of usage as you. Your bleack usage rate is just fine. It is not how much you add, it is where your levels are (and yours are pretty low, with a FC of 1)

Your CC is high though, it should be 0 (or maybe just a trace). You should SLAM your pool.

You don't say in your test results what you CYA is, just that you are trying to raise it. Pucks can take a while to raise CYA. I use them if I have to raise it 5 or so PPM after a number of heavy rains. If I need 10 or more ppm, I will use granulated di-chlor for a while, and maybe even straight stabilizer.

Thanks

thanks for responding I am so new to this whole pool care/ and forum thing. (delayed reaction to your response, is there a way to set this so i see it on my email)
Firstly i just got a reading on CYA until now i couldn't get one it was so low i have it about 40. I put in two bags of shock from local pool store that had stabalizer and last week i put in 4 lb of stabilizer the pool is clear now but i do see some green creeping on the walls, i dont know if i am up for slamming yet, I dont completely have the hang of it and i dont want my pool out of commission for a week is there any alternative, to getting rid of the algae?
my tests results today
FC3
CC 1
TA 8
ph 7.5.
any and all advice wanted, I really want to try and get a handle on doing this on my own, ( Although I am really bad at chemistry....
I went to pool store they sold me stuff for too much copper in my pool i never used it pool cleared up with bleach and filter over night went back to pool store two days later they said wow stuff worked i see you have no copper now you need to get some calcium in you pool thank goodness i also needed stabilizer so i just got two bags of shock n said will be back another time for the other chem he tried to sell me.)

If you follow our advice, the pool doesn't necessarily need to be shut down for the SLAM. As long as you can see the bottom, it's generally safe to swim at SLAM levels.

CH isn't important in a vinyl pool, so don't worry about it.

21K gallons is a pretty big pool, so it will take a long time to bring CYA up using tablets alone. However, unless those are your own test results, its a guessing game as to what your CYA really is.

Your FC is too low, and a TA of 8 is impossible (typo?). How are you getting those test results?

if it's a question of how to pour, then yes, if you don't pour it properly, it can be harmful. I believe this is in the pool school.
as for doing it every other evening, I wouldn't recommend that. My pool doesn't get used that much during the week, so I pour enough CL to keep it at target and run the pump for three hours. The night before we go swmming, is when I turn it on and leave it running over night.

Re: To Much bleach harmfull? + cya& CH question.

What should my FC be?
sorry about the 8 it was 8 drops i guess that would be 80 not 8.
i did the cya test myself. pool is clear you can see the bottom but i do have green algae on the bottom of the sloped walls in the deep end.

- - - Updated - - -

how should i be pouring it into pool directly or into skimmers/ we have very heavy use 20+ swimmers a day

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for responding I am so new to this whole pool care/ and forum thing. (delayed reaction to your response, is there a way to set this so i see it on my email)
Firstly i just got a reading on CYA until now i couldn't get one it was so low i have it about 40. I put in two bags of shock from local pool store that had stabalizer and last week i put in 4 lb of stabilizer the pool is clear now but i do see some green creeping on the walls, i dont know if i am up for slamming yet, I dont completely have the hang of it and i dont want my pool out of commission for a week is there any alternative, to getting rid of the algae?
my tests results today
FC3
CC 1
TA 8
ph 7.5.
any and all advice wanted, I really want to try and get a handle on doing this on my own, ( Although I am really bad at chemistry....
I went to pool store they sold me stuff for too much copper in my pool i never used it pool cleared up with bleach and filter over night went back to pool store two days later they said wow stuff worked i see you have no copper now you need to get some calcium in you pool thank goodness i also needed stabilizer so i just got two bags of shock n said will be back another time for the other chem he tried to sell me.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.