Clear PVC for discharge?

Aug 14, 2013
Fayetteville, NY
I have just (properly) buried plumbing to allow me to replace the standard "cheap rubber hose" filter backwash discharge, rolled out onto my driveway, with much better solution of permanent solid rigid pipe run to an appropriate area.

I have run 1.5" PVC to the pad, ready to plumb into the sand filter discharge, but I've reached a point of confusion. Currently, the filter has a nice little clear section of plastic(PVC?) that the cheap rubber hose clamps onto. Watching this "window" is how I tell when the backwash is running clear, ready for rinse.

I believe I should replace that little clear piece intended for rubber clamp on hose, with a similar solid clear piece that can be glued into typical schedule 40 PVC, however, I can't find such a piece. The people at the local pool stores think I'm crazy to even think such a thing exists. I know clear (pvc glue compatable) check valves exist...why can't I find a 3"-6" long clear plastic 1.5" pvc part? Of course, I guess I could buy a clear check valve, but I don't really need the check valve functionality.

Based on structural support for the pipes, I'd rather not have my discharge terminate at the filter with a piece of flexible tube, which seems to be what the local pool shops think I should do.

Am I thinking about this wrong? Where can I find a short piece of clear, rigid, 1.5" schedule 40?

Thanks.

Your sand filter multiport valve doesn't have a sight glass to view the water during backwash/rinse? Like the clear plastic vial on this picture?

sand-filter-2in-multiport-valve-hayward-sp071620t-1.jpg

Yes zimm, that's like exactly what I want to do, but without the flex pipe, and without spending like $60 for a 6" piece of pipe.

Dave - Many of those options are not suitable for direct sunlight applications.

I think I have an idea about how to do flex without undue pipe stress...run it vertically...top will have support from the pump. That's probably a good enough solution for what I need. Thanks zimm for the photo, seeing your application helped me rethink this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.