Staying Ahead of Algae/Cloudy Water

Jul 25, 2008
Hi Everyone,

Background: Inground, Vinyl, 23,000 gallons, FC 9, PH 7.2, CYA 80, Alk 100, Hardness 200
I use liquid chlorine to shock & 3"puck in 2 skimmers with pool pump running 7 x 24

Currently Shocking as FC was 0 yesterday AM
No FC so I added 3 pucks (2 skimmers & 1 floater).
Fri 12:00 - FC is 0.0. So I shock with 1 gallon Liq CL
Fri 14:00 - FC is 5.0. I then added 2 more gallons Liq CL
Fri 16:00 - FC is 17.5
Fri 20:00 - FC 14.5. I then added 1 more gallons Liq CL
Sa 07:00 - FC 14.5 / PH 7.4
Sa 08:30 - Added 2 lbs of (calcium hypo left over from last year)

It seems that every few days algae comes back after I shock with liqud CL and the pucks can't keep the basic FC level between shocks.

Do I go to a daily Liquid CL regiment and stop using 3" pucks? If so what amount?
Or maybe I just have never offically killed the algae beast?

KK

Your CYA level is already 80, so shocking requires raising the FC level to 21. If you keep using pucks the CYA level will continue to go up and you will need even more chlorine to fight algae.

You were really only close to shock level one night. You need to raise the FC level up to 21 more frequently so you don't give the algae time to grow, which it will do at lower FC levels.

Thanks for the reply. I try to limit the 3" pucks to prevent CYA buildup. Should I just use liquid CL or another chlorine source and stay away from (dichloro & trichlor) completely? What is a good daily CL product?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.