f3justusc

Aug 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just want to complain about something that no one can change. In my opinion, the weather in 2014 has been the absolute worst. We had a winter that would not end and a summer that just won't come. In Florida, we get rain and it's cool - afternoon thunderstorms that last an hour and then business as usual. This year, we have had more cloudy days than not and it just rains and rains. I drain several inches from the pool every other day. It is July and I have only been in the pool twice because, with my little solar heater, I havent gotten enough sun to warm the pool beyond 82. Last summer, we consistently maintained 86. This year, I am only getting about 1-2 hours of sun on the heater. Oh well, maybe things will improve next week!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I won't complain after the winter we had here in SWPA! I work outside and doing perimeter in -20 below zero in the middle of the night was BRUTAL! I was wearing my hunting clothes to work. :shock:

It's been cooler than normal here in DFW too, at least up until the past couple of days. Had a pool party a couple of weeks ago and had to run the heater for a couple of hours - not for my sake but for the sake of our guests. I was a little concerned that the 82°F water would be a bit chilly for some, so I ran the heater until it got up to 85°F. Running the heater in June was previously unprecedented for me.

This weekend will be very summer-like with temps within a degree or so either side of 100°F. However, next week a big cool-down is expected. Although we may get some beneficial rain out of it, mid-week temps may struggle to reach 80°F which I cannot ever remember happening here in July.

This certainly has been a cool year so far. Normally this time of year my pool is around 96-98, but currently it's been sitting at 90-92. I'm really glad I have my home-made heater (should be in my signature) and a solar blanket, or my pool would probably be in the 70s or 80s. Next week is supposed to really cool off, but hopefully my pool will stay swimmable.

This certainly has been a cool year so far. Normally this time of year my pool is around 96-98, but currently it's been sitting at 90-92. I'm really glad I have my home-made heater (should be in my signature) and a solar blanket, or my pool would probably be in the 70s or 80s. Next week is supposed to really cool off, but hopefully my pool will stay swimmable.

:shock: Wow 96-98 degrees.....I was just saying that ours at 91 degrees was feeling a bit too warm for me. My sisters agp in NJ is generally in the 70's to maybe 80. She has no heater. They generally float around rather than swim.

Wow, we're in the pool just about every day. The weather here has been warm and humid, but recently has dried out to just warm which is fine with me. I agree about the winter being a tad
bit too much and summer taking a bit to get here, but for the past several weeks it's been pretty good. Who would've thunk it that someone located in New England is having better
swimming weather than others! I guess after the bombardment of snow we got and usually get each year, we deserve it more LOL. Hopefully you other snow locales can start benefitting from
the months of torment. Hope things pick up for you.

John

:shock: Wow 96-98 degrees.....I was just saying that ours at 91 degrees was feeling a bit too warm for me. My sisters agp in NJ is generally in the 70's to maybe 80. She has no heater. They generally float around rather than swim.
I might be wrong about 98, I'm not sure if the pool has ever gotten that warm. I am sure that the pool usually gets to about 96, which is hot. I go in, but I never really enjoy it. I don't do anything to cool off the pool, because I need all the heat I can get for later in the season.

I would be happy with 82 degree water, ha ha. It will get to 80, then rain, no sun, for a few days, back to 75-77 degrees. We swim anyway!

That's me exactly. I have gotten up to 84 but it quickly returns to 80-82. Sometimes, if I squint and hold the thermometer at a 32.7 degree angle, I see 83. Lol. Just when I think we are heading up, here comes a week of clouds. I guess I should be happy that I have not had to run my sprinklers but, there is a chance the pool is going to float away. I am going away for a few days and I am trying to figure out who I want to train on the draining procedures. As simple s it is for me, I realize not everyone is capable. I have learned this the hard way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm surprised at the low 80's of a pool in FL. I'm in SC and two weeks ago my water temp was 90. It didn't feel refreshing to me and I was wanting my cooler running. A few cloudy cooler days brought us back to the sweet spot of about 86.

My home made hack job wood fired heater is just barely keeping up with the cooler weather. I'm able to keep the pool between 84 and 88, with daytime highs in the high 70's to low 80's. The past few days we've had temps in the 90's, but that's not going to last long.

Our pool in SWPA has only briefly made it to the low 80's this year and with next weeks "summer" polar vortex predicted I am afraid it will be back into the low 70's again

I was just telling hubby I got the pool back to 80 with the solar cover and we're about to dip into the 50's for over night temps and I'm afraid I'll be back into the low 70's again. It'll take me a week to recover all that heat with the solar cover! BOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I hear you PAGirl! We're suppose to get some nasty thunderstorms tomorrow (hope the hold off so I can take the baby in the pool) and then the temps are going to drop!

As was the case several times this past winter, the revised forecast is showing even lower temps than the previous forecast. Thursday's forecast high is now in the upper 70's - for DFW in July! If that's not an outright record for the lowest high temp for that date, it certainly has to be flirting with one.

I couldn't agree more f3justusc... As you know, we're right down the road from you, and it's been one torrential downpour after another... And almost always on the weekend when we could have possibly enjoyed the pool. Hopefully the rain will give us a break soon. I had it crystal clear on Saturday morning, and by afternoon the rain came and messed up my plans to swim in the water. Wound up getting in later, but the water cools off so fast with these hard rains.

DFW Texas here and we just had our first triple digit day yesterday. My pool water was too cold for me until just a couple of weeks ago - unheard of! And now we are supposed to go as low as 69 degrees this week. In July in Texas? This is crazy. It is promising to bring as much as 5 inches of rain and since we are so desperate for water I will take it without a word of complaint. Just hoping to avoid another pool flood. And that is something that I should never have to worry about!

Well, the past 2 days have been interesting... The pool was probably in the low to mid 90s. Then we got almost 8.5" of rain (literally- my manual rain gauge measured 5.91" Monday, and 2.52" Tuesday) so now my pool is down to 86*. I can't imagine what this rain did to all of my chemical levels, and I haven't been out to test in the past 2 days to test because of all this rain. I'm going to put up a separate post just for entertainment purposes to detail what 8+" of rain in 2 days can do to a pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.