Hayward Superpump Leaking

Dec 30, 2013
Warner Robins, GA
I noticed a slight leak under the pump. From all I'm reading on the forum it seems like it may be the shaft seal. I ordered a "tune up" kit for the pump and plan to make repairs myself. However, my time is very limited. So... I run my pump about 8 hours a day. Can anyone tell me how long the "slight leak" may last before the pump fails completely or is it just a "**** shoot"?

Thank you.

Well, I don't think anyone can guess the death of your pump, just like no one can guess the day we expire. It's a wait and see type deal. If you can fix it, you should do so.

It will probably last quite a while. The thing to pay attention to is the sound of the motor. If it starts getting louder than your bearings are going... Changing the seal should take less than an hour depending on how easy it is to access your pump. Probably only 4 bolts holding the motor to the pump, disconnect them, rebuild the pump, bolt them back together and your good to go...

My Superpump was leaking and I kind of dragged my feet getting to it. Finally ordered the seal kit and the motor went from "quiet" to "rocks in a blender" overnight waiting for the seal kit to show up...shot bearings. I'd recommend to do it sooner than later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.