Possible very slow pump leak

Jul 2, 2014
Upstate NY
I noticed that my hayward pump is either condensing or leaking very slowly at bottom. It's 10 years old at least. Should I just run it until it dies? It works perfect without problems and never loses suction. Can I just run it like that? The lady before me probably did not think anything of it. I am leaning towards spending $350 on a new one rather then trying to fix, as i don't know if it's worth it.

Look closely at the motor/wet end connection point. It could be something a simple to fix as the shaft seal. Better to try that (cheaper too!) than give up on it. While you have the unit apart if it is the seal, replace the motor bearings.

Ok so my other question is if I decide to run it like that until it dies, how bad is such a leak or the pump and how much time might I have approximately. As I said it primes perfectly and you can't hear any air, only humming. I hate to put in $50-100 and then still have the leak or even worse more problems and on top of that then the motor dies with my luck. It seems the lady before me did not seem to care or notice. Who knows how long. I tend to be OCD about stuff but if I can get by with this I will, as it's 10 years old anyways.

No reason it shouldn't last another 10 years. The seal kits are only $25-35, depending on pump model, and are easy to install. Motor bearings are probably $15 each, so I'd say money well spent.

If you are set on replacement, get the 2 speed motor, and a seal kit for your pump.

Ok will go to pool store and get the seal assembly replacement, which is the ceramic thing with the springy rubber thing, and try to replace. They have it for $16. I am handy with stuff but not sure how high the screw up factor is when doing this? Wish me luck! Otherwise if it still leaks after then I don't care.

You guys are awesome! Went to pool store and got the seal assembly kit with springy thingy and ceramic seal. Replacement was a breeze. I only had to remove the switch rather than capacitor to stick the wrench in to remove the impeller. It was pretty easy. No more leaking. I am not scared of pool pumps anymore especially not Hayward! Cost was $16.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.