PVC pool plumbing question

Hi, Dave,

You cannot get the water hooked up fast enough to have any affect. Even tho you may read wait 24 hours to get "maximum strength" , a PVC joint can hold pool pressures within 60 seconds.

Thanks for the quick reply. You, as always, "hit the nail on the head". I posted because I had read about the "24hr" recommendation and was confused because it seems in reality nobody waits 24 hrs.

I think it depends on the glue as well. Contractors cement will set up in less than 5 min while the cheap stuff at Home Depot is at least 15 min. I would follow the instructions on the can.

Although the joint seems strong within 60 seconds, the “glue” is still not dry. I try to wait at least an hour, or more. For a joint with a cycolac (ABS) fitting like a Hayward union, the cycolac/ABS takes longer to set. PVC “glue” is not really a normal glue, but a solvent welding glue that dissolves the materials and allows them to bond as the materials reform and dry. For ABS I wait several hours. Putting water pressure on joints too soon can cause them to separate or leak.

This is for a SWG installation. I need to plumb a manifold and remove/replace a 2" ball valve. I suppose I will plumb it then do the electrical hookup. It will probably take a few hours to mount the control panel and make connections so this should give the PVC plenty of time to cure before I restart the system.

I really like to use the rain n shine glue available at home depot, lowes and plumbing supply stores. Just make sure you prime your pipe, its equally important to glueing. That alows the chemical weld to take place. The longer you wait, within reason, the better. Rain n shine is nice because a little bit of water in your glue joint wont mess it up.

MEvan said:
Just make sure you prime your pipe, its equally important to glueing. That alows the chemical weld to take place.
This is the step that most people, INCLUDING pool builders, mess up on! Not only should you prime but also use cleaner before the primer. This helps to insure the best solvent bond.

Reactions: PoolsideDallas

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.