Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC pool plumbing question

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC pool plumbing question

How long after you cement a PVC joint fitting is it recommended that you wait before you circulate water through it?

Thanks,
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: PVC pool plumbing question

Hi, Dave,

You cannot get the water hooked up fast enough to have any affect. Even tho you may read wait 24 hours to get "maximum strength" , a PVC joint can hold pool pressures within 60 seconds.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply. You, as always, "hit the nail on the head". I posted because I had read about the "24hr" recommendation and was confused because it seems in reality nobody waits 24 hrs.
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Dave, and Dave I always give the glue 10 min to set before running water through the system. 10 min isn't too long, but I have had joints fail if I fired up the system sooner "Do it once, do it right, and all will be good!"
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

I think it depends on the glue as well. Contractors cement will set up in less than 5 min while the cheap stuff at Home Depot is at least 15 min. I would follow the instructions on the can.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Although the joint seems strong within 60 seconds, the “glue” is still not dry. I try to wait at least an hour, or more. For a joint with a cycolac (ABS) fitting like a Hayward union, the cycolac/ABS takes longer to set. PVC “glue” is not really a normal glue, but a solvent welding glue that dissolves the materials and allows them to bond as the materials reform and dry. For ABS I wait several hours. Putting water pressure on joints too soon can cause them to separate or leak.

7. Back To Top    #7

This is for a SWG installation. I need to plumb a manifold and remove/replace a 2" ball valve. I suppose I will plumb it then do the electrical hookup. It will probably take a few hours to mount the control panel and make connections so this should give the PVC plenty of time to cure before I restart the system.
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-

8. Back To Top    #8

When all else fails, read the directions on the side of the can. 8) Every one I've seen lists a recommended setup time.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I really like to use the rain n shine glue available at home depot, lowes and plumbing supply stores. Just make sure you prime your pipe, its equally important to glueing. That alows the chemical weld to take place. The longer you wait, within reason, the better. Rain n shine is nice because a little bit of water in your glue joint wont mess it up.
    Matthew
    Involved in the pool and spa industry
    Pittsburgh, PA

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by MEvan
    Just make sure you prime your pipe, its equally important to glueing. That alows the chemical weld to take place.
    This is the step that most people, INCLUDING pool builders, mess up on! Not only should you prime but also use cleaner before the primer. This helps to insure the best solvent bond.