Pump Run time?

Blueskies21

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2011
Middle TN
We finally filled the pool on July 3rd and turned on the salt cell July 7th. We have a 2 speed pump. So far for simplicity the first two days we ran manually on high for 48 hrs and since then we have been running continuously on low speed except for a couple bumps up to high speed to clean or mix chemicals. I read pool school's article on pump run time and it seems to say that we should be running about 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low and/or enough to turn the pool once per day. The pool is roughly 21,000 gallons. I installed a flo-vis flowmeter in the plumbing after the heater before the salt cell and it reads rough 70-75 GPM on high and about 30 GPM on low. So I guess one turn would be 5 hours on high or 12 hours on low? As far as skimming action it works ok on low but skims much better (almost a whirlpool on high). So I guess my question is... how long would you run it? 5 hours on high? maybe split 2.5 and 2.5? Would you run it morning or night or ?? Right now the pool water temp is 82 degrees, we COULD turn on the heat pump but I'd like to get as much free heat as possible from the sun if that makes any difference on recommendations. Thanks for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.