Cracked/Leaking Sand Filter Inlet

Mojo21

May 29, 2013
MD
I had several leaks in between my pump and filter so I replaced all of the plumping. I noticed the threaded inlet (where the plumbing enters the sand filter) is slightly cracked. I made it worse when tightening the new pvc connector. Though there are no more leaks in the new plumbing, there is now a steady leak at the inlet. Any ideas on how I can seal this? Need to get this stopped asap. Thanks,

I think I may be able to give you a backwoods/hillbilly method, but I need to know what the filter fitting that is cracked is made of -- what type of plastic.

Others here may have better, more aesthetically pleasing methods.

That doesn't stick to many types of plastic reliably. What I was thinking is that if the connector is made of PVC or ABS, you could make a sleeve from a scrap of PVC, and glue/clamp it to the outside of the connector.

Two questions about that idea. 1. the outside of the connector has grooves/threads as well - will a sleeved and glued piece of pvc make enough contact? 2. Would I be able to size a sleeve appropriately for the outside of the connector?

If it has threads, that makes it even easier. Get the appropriate size threaded to slip adapter, cut the slip end off, and apply primer and glue to both surfaces, and screw the threaded piece on as tight as you can go.

OK, thanks for the help Charlie. I will need to make a decision on replacing some of my new plumbing to try to sleeve it as you suggest or trying something like plast-aid + silicone tape. I would sleeve it in a heartbeat, just having some heartache over cutting my new plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.