can I shock the pool now

Jul 7, 2014
atco/nj
I just tried the red n yellow test and test strips. Its telling me that ph is about 7.2
Alk is around 80ish. Chlorine just started turning yellow with the 5 drops. Can I shock the pool tonight? I did put all that alk rise, ph rise and 2lbs of stabilizer in today

Why do you think you need to shock it? When was it filled? Also, there are better ways to raise your pH and TA. Head on over to pool school and spend an hour reading. You'll learn a lot. As far as shocking goes, you will discover that shocking is not what we preach here. Read up on how to SLAM your pool. And get a good test kit RIGHT AWAY if you haven't already got one. TF-100 is your best bet.

I already ordered the tf100. Waiting for it to arrive. I already bought a case of shock before I found this site. I have I may as well use it. I've been reading pool school and taking in what I can. I just had liner installed and finished filling. I'm looking to get some chlorine in there now. The new chlorinator is installed and the chlorine just showed up with the red and yellow drop test kit. Wondering if I should throw the shock in to super chlorinate the pool. Water is clear cause of fresh fill.

It was filling since monday with no chlorine added. I got in today and the bottom was feeling slippery. I was afraid it was starting to grow stuff. Figured the shock would kill it. Turned the water a little cloudy. Hopefully it will be cleared up 2mrow. It is powdered which I mixed up with water. I know some of the shock bags have stabilizer in it. I'll have to look at the bag tomorrow. Thanks for the info

It was filling since monday with no chlorine added. I got in today and the bottom was feeling slippery. I was afraid it was starting to grow stuff. Figured the shock would kill it. Turned the water a little cloudy. Hopefully it will be cleared up 2mrow. It is powdered which I mixed up with water. I know some of the shock bags have stabilizer in it. I'll have to look at the bag tomorrow. Thanks for the info
Cloudy after adding the shock powder usually means it was Cal-hypo. Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

If you're throwing powdered shock into the pool, you will need to brush the bottom of the pool, even if you desolved it. It will bleach the liner if it sits on it. Another good reason to use liquid over a return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.