Hayward 100lb Sand Filter for 24' AGP - Large Enough?

Sep 2, 2011
Nanty Glo, PA
Will a Hayward S-166T 100lb Sand Filter (with 1HP Power-Flo Pump) be sufficient for a 24' above-ground pool? My sister-in-law just bought a foreclosed house with a pool and numerous pool parts are missing (more likely stolen while it was in "winterized" condition) such as the pump, filter, all plumbing, etc. . . She has picked up this particular pump/filter used for cheap locally. Please elaborate on your answers: will it work at all? Require much more pump run time? Just require much more frequent backwashing?

The pool is a green swamp now, so I'm wondering how this small filter is going to handle the "green to clean" SLAM process.

I also have a 24' above-ground pool and I have a 150lb sand filter (not sure of the model#, but it looks nearly identical). From what I've read searching through the forum even my filter is smaller than recommended (and it's the filter that came bundled with the pool when we bought it new).

Thanks,
Garry

The pool business is notorious for selling too large a pump with too small a filter.

While it's certainly possible to use that small filter on that pool, it won't be fun during the clearing.

Once it's clear, backwashing more often the only serious draw back. It could restrict the flow some but you probably won't notice that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.