Help, I am feeling just a little overwhelmed......

Your CYA will not change color, the black dot on the bottom of the cylinder will disappear. This is one of the toughests test to get used to doing and the one that uses the most of your chemicals. But once you get your CYA correct you dont need to do it again but maybe once to adjust for evaporation, rain etc

My suggestion is to redo the test and see if you get the same results. If you TRUELY have no CYA in your water then you need to put some CYA or Stabilizer into your pool. You can get this at Home Depot , Lowes, Walmart in the pool section.

It would be helpful if you could add to your signature your pool size, make of pool (Vinyl, Gunite, fiberglass) the type of filter you have.
If you look in my signature you will see some helpful links to help you.

lprice,

First, RELAX.

There is not going to be any CYA in fresh water, you can assume it is 0. You should start by shocking the pool with a higher than "normal" chlorine dosage. Use Jason's Pool Calculator (link in my signature) for amount of chlorine to add. You will need to know your pool volume. You will also need to add some CYA to get you to 30 - 50 ppm. Your pH is at the lower limit of acceptable and your TA is a little low especially if you are going to be using stabilized chlorine (such as trichlor - low pH) at all.

Welcome to TFP! Let us know your progress.

In 7600 gallons, I would add:

2 quarts of 6% bleach
4 lbs of baking soda
2 lbs of stabilizer/conditioner/CYA/cyanuric acid

to start. Then tonight add

1 quart of 6% bleach

Eventually you want to get a CH test result. But that isn't pressing

It would be a good idea to do some reading in Pool School, see the link in my signature or in the sub-heading of every page.

Thanks everyone......and thanks Jason for spelling it out, LOL. I have everything I need, except for the stabilizer. I have read pool school several times.....and I mean with my test results in hand, but for some reason I just froze up on how to start this. What is up with that anyway? :hammer:

Also I have put everything into the pool calculator......printed the page off.... I have it right here.

Last night with my new test kit I looked like the mad scientist. :study: :scratch:

I will run out and get the stabilizer, put everything in, and let ya'll know where it all falls. It's a little rainy here today......no sun on my 2nd day with a pool!

Thanks again for the replies!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.