Aeration

kalypso

Gold Supporter
Jun 25, 2014
phoenix
in the phoenix, arizona area, i need to try and cool my pool water. i have installed an aerator(see photos). per the photo, i reduced from the 2" to 3/4". you can not see, but have drilled total of 20, 1/8" diameter holes. they are located so they spray upward about 45 degrees when on. i can control the distance of spray with the inlet valve on the pool, so it will shoot right out the other side if i wanted.
i had heard that if you run it at night, when dark and until the sun comes up, it will cool down the water temp. it has been in the low 80's here, however, even when i run it all nite(8hrs on the timer), it only goes down to miniumum of 88degrees...
do i need more volume? what am i doing wrong??

Attachments

• aer 1.jpg
    aer 1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 157
  • aer2.jpg
    aer2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 156
The first thing I would try is to run it during the daytime. That device cools through evaporation, not so much heat exchange.

Try that simple change first. You may need some more volume but It may work just fine running it in the daytime.

I would think it would cool faster at night because evaporation is usually higher at night (lower dew point).

upward about 45 degrees
Try downward at 45 into the water. This will increase the surface area of the water and accelerate evaporation.

, it only goes down to miniumum of 88degrees...
From what?

That only cools the water that is in the air which is not much. However, most of the heat is in the pool so that should be the objective.

the pool is 9X18 and by the end of the afternoons temp is up to about 94-95F.
my current configuration is rigid at pointing upward about 45degree. from what i am hearing, if i were to double the number of drilled holes, and point them slightly at a down ward angle, that would disturb the warm water surface much more than i currently am.

Yes, that is the idea. The more waves on the surface of the water, the higher the surface area and the higher the evaporation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.