Can't get pH to stabilize

Smeade

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2014
Ft. Wright, KY
Relatively new to TFP, loving this method. Pool hasn't looked better in almost 20 years of ownership. The problem (?) I'm having now is getting pH to stabilize. Test results:

FC: 4.5 (I try to keep this around 7, haven't added daily dose yet today, usually lose 3ppm per day)
CC:0
pH: 7.6 (try to keep around 7.0 or 7.2 as was suggested to reduce scaling and stains)
TA: 70 (down from 120)
CH: 270 (up from 250 since end of May)

On 8 July, pH was 7.6, I added 44 oz MA to bring down to 7.2, yesterday was 7.3, and today back to 7.6. That's just the past few days, but that's pretty indicative of what's been happening the past couple of months.

Is this because I'm trying to keep pH low, and if I let it go to 7.6 or 7.8 it would level out? I'm so new to pool care (took over management from husband who was ready to fill it in) that I don't really know how it would behave under normal circumstances.

Stains are looking better, which is a good thing.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.