Clarification on the CYA 24 hour pump rule

kr8434

Gold Supporter
Apr 13, 2014
Northern Virginia
I'm adding Aqua Chem stabilizer to my pool in order to increase CYA. I'm using the sock in skimmer method. I have two skimmers and I've added 1.5 pounds of CYA granules, per sock, to each.

Pool School says run the pump for 24 hours after adding stabilizer. Does this mean I run the pump for 24 hours AFTER the stabilizer is fully dissolved? Or was the intention that I run the pump as long as takes to ensure the granules have been fully dissolved, so that the pump is not off while undissolved stabilizer is still in the skimmer?

This is very good advice on running the pump after CYA additions. I've always assumed my huge pump and small pool (I turn the water about every 1.5 hours) meant I didn't need to worry much about how quickly CYA dissolved. I just added it to the skimmer a cup or so at a time.

After just 3.5 years my pump basket had to be replaced. The bottom of the basket was coming apart and the entire basket looked like it had been eroded by something. Luckily, my filters are fine and it only cost $15 to replace the basket. I'll be doing the sock method and running the pump for 24 hours in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.