Sneaky green won't leave me alone!

Sep 2, 2013
Hi everyone!
I have poured over this site for a year now and have learned so much about pool ownership!

I do however have one on-going issue.. Sneaky green alage! I Shock my pool, vacuum to waste 24 hrs later and enjoy a perfect pool for about 3 days... Then it creeps back in. I need to mention that my water is always crystal clear, however the alage can be seen growing in the corners etc. The thing that gets me is that the alage starts to grow while my FC levels are still high 12 ppm. Why is this happening? cYA is 45 on average.

I feel like I'm getting all the alage when I brush/shock/clean, where is it coming from??

How's the water circulation in those areas? can you improve it by re-aiming the jets?

Now when you say "I shock my pool, vacuum to waste 24hrs later". this doesn't at all sound like what this forum suggests....SLAMing is what we suggest.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

What are you using to obtain your chemistry readings? a full set of current test results would be helpful as well.

Have you passed the Overnight FC Loss Test?

I have a feeling that you SLAM for a day and let it go. You have not eradicated the algae and that's why it keeps coming back.

Thanks everyone - the SLAMing method is new to me so I will be trying this next. I will also be purchasing the test kit everyone recommends.
Now you're talking!

This time around, shock it, shock it again, and keep shocking until it's all dead. And then if you maintain the chemistry using the suggested levels and your own test kit, you may never ever need to deal with algae again.

Now you're talking!

This time around, shock it, shock it again, and keep shocking until it's all dead. And then if you maintain the chemistry using the suggested levels and your own test kit, you may never ever need to deal with algae again.

One more quick question before I am off to play with my pool: Considering my FC levels were around 14 this morning - how is Algae even present in my pool? This has boggled my mind since we took ownership of this pool!

One more quick question before I am off to play with my pool: Considering my FC levels were around 14 this morning - how is Algae even present in my pool? This has boggled my mind since we took ownership of this pool!
It depends on the CYA level. I took over my pool with 220+ CYA. To maintain active chlorine levels and avoid algae, I was targeting FC around 24. We had severe water restrictions in place, so a drain was out of the question.

Hopefully this article will explain the CYA/FC relationship to your satisfaction.

Algae has an opportunity to grow when FC levels drop below the minimum, based on the CYA level.

You could not totally get rid of it in the past because you only tickled it with your short-lived high FC levels.

To take control and eradicate it from your pool, you need to SLAM it and show it you mean business :whip: :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.