Now the work begims to dig out of the hole pool company caused

Jul 7, 2014
Lancaster PA
Hi all from Lancaster Pennsylvania. I am one of those people that have listened to the pool store tell me how to fix pool (sucker born every day). Had some issues keeping it clean and clear last year but this year no matter what the pool company said to do it was not working. So after being sold another $100 of chemicals started looking myself and found this site. As my wife says I know have become obsessed with learning what to do. Got the small nth 6 way test to do some quick test I could get a real test kit (tf-100 arrived today). Could not get abroad on cya cause it was over 200. Empty some water and got a good test by diluting in half 190. Empty some more water and tested today after filling and am down to 120. Now I am going to empty and fill 8 inches for the next r days which should get me around 60 an I will be happy.

Not worried about chlorine right at moment since cya is so high but here are my numbers

12000 gallon AG pool with a Hayward 1500 cartridge filter and the pump that came with it.

PH-7.0 A little low but have filter bubbling to bring it while I deal with CYA
TA-90
CH-200
CYA-120

All tested with my brand new TF-100. Pool is blue but very cloudy. Can't drain that much more cause got to be careful I flood neighbors yard.

Thank you all,

Shawn

Hey Shawn... sounds like you had an OUTRAGEOUS CYA problem that is currently being fixed. It also sounds like you have read up on how to proceed.

Get the CYA down and if you need guidance, we're here for ya! :cool:

Hi Shawn, welcome to TFP! Getting CYA down to the 30-50 range is ideal, but your pool can be managed at 50-80 without too much difficulty. When you winterize you can drain down below the returns and be in better shape for next summer.

Hi Shawn! Welcome to TFPC! I'm across the river from you in Lewisberry. I've found that a CYA level of around 40 works pretty good in our area. Keep doing what you are doing. Every pool is different and I'm sure you'll find that "comfort" zone. I leave a little room in case I go on vacation and then, dare I say...... use pucks(noooooooo!!!) in my chlorinator so as not to rely on anyone too much.
I can't say enough about TFP and the knowledge you can gain by listening to our "experts" or just exploring and reading all the info here. Good luck with the pool. I"m sure you will do great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm about 45 minutes from Lancaster Shawn. Good to see another local person joining the forum. Stay on top of the pool and listen to all the advice and knowledge from this site and you'll be in good shape.

Good luck!!

Ok now the fun begins.

FC=4.5
CC=1.5
TA=100
CH=200
PH=7.2
CYA=80

I know cya is still high but I spent a week dropping it from over 300 so now the slam started. Setting 31 FC as goal so added 2.5 gallons of 12.5 bleach and waiting to test again at 6 PM.

Thank you all

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.