Electrics

Welcome to TFP!

There is very little tutorial material on electrical work available. This is mostly because electricians are licensed professionals. If you are trying to get a license you will either apprentice or take a paid course. And if you aren't licensed you probably shouldn't be working with electrical stuff. At least that is the default assumption in most of the industry.

You can learn a great deal by reading the NEC electrical codes, but it is difficult going and assumes both that you already know a lot and that you are willing to memorize a great deal of information without any explanation of why things are done the way they are done.

Accepted but I am a competent person, I used to install burglar alarms and I have rewired a few houses. I have not had much to do with relays, contactors and motors.

In addition to this I live in what is sometimes considered a third world country with very few electrical building codes, some wiring which is a complete nightmare and I am sure that during general pool maintenence I coulcd carry out electrical repairs should they occur with just a wider understanding of what the problem may be.

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

There is very little tutorial material on electrical work available. This is mostly because electricians are licensed professionals. If you are trying to get a license you will either apprentice or take a paid course. And if you aren't licensed you probably shouldn't be working with electrical stuff. At least that is the default assumption in most of the industry.

You can learn a great deal by reading the NEC electrical codes, but it is difficult going and assumes both that you already know a lot and that you are willing to memorize a great deal of information without any explanation of why things are done the way they are done.

Yeah,.. I know this post is long dead :p

I have a small issue with your statement. I am a licensed pool and spa service and repair contractor in the state of California (C61-D35). I would not be out of my classification doing any electrical work on an existing swimming pool short of running new conduit under ground.
CSLB said:
D35 - Pool and Spa Maintenance ContractorCalifornia Code of Regulations
Division 8, Title 16, Article 3. Classification

A pool and spa maintenance contractor installs, replaces or repairs pool motors, pumps, filters, gas heaters and any above ground piping in connection with pools; includes electrical switches, breakers, pool lights, diving boards, existing solar systems that heat pools, pool and spa acid baths and applies vinyl liners to existing surfaces.

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/GeneralInformati ... enance.asp

In California if you want to do any repairs or services totalling 500.00 or more in parts and labor you better be licensed.

That said I have sent my guys to seminars put on by manufacturers or classes at local trade shows put on by manufacturers and trade pro's.

Pentair has a great program check their website for details. They will cover basic hydraulics, electrical, their heaters and automation among other things.A couple of my guys go every year and I've attended them myself in the past. Check out http://www.pentairpool.com/poolprofessi ... /index.htm
for more details.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.