Worth it to upgrade 1/2hp whisperflo to a 2 speed or variable?

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I have a two year old 1/2hp whisperflo 220v pump that runs 8 hours a day. I'm wondering if it's worth it to replace with a 2 speed or not. I have a huge sand filter if that makes a difference. My thoughts are that I could get one that at low speed, runs about what mine does right now, but have the ability to crank up the flow when it's time to run the heater, vacuum the pool, or clean up after a storm. The water coming from my returns seems a bit low. I do have a booster pump on the polaris too.

$180-240 a month. That's including the whole house and dual zone A/C.

Interesting thought on just swapping out the electric motor vice the whole unit. Especially since the pump is only 2 years old. How do you control the 2 speeds? Is there a switch that needs to be added?

Keeping the same impeller and getting a two speed motor won't give you the ability to crank up the flow the way you want. On high you would have exactly what you have now, and on low you would have half the flow you have now. If you want more flow than what you have now, maybe you should change the impeller. If you do that you would also need a bigger motor, and it could be a two speed.

If everything is working fine now with the flow that that the .5 hp motor is providing going to the .75 hp will increase usage on high but will be be less on low. Payback time will be a while. Maybe a better option when the motor dies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.